Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

So I Want To Get In Shape For A Marathon

2 ton hoss

HERE'S THE STATS.

6'4"
240 LBS
APPROX 16-20% BF

I WANT TO RUN A MARATHON. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SOMETHING "UNREACHABLE" FOR ME BECAUSE I AM THICKLY BUILT AND NEVER WAS A GOOD RUNNER.

I WILL NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT (AND MUSCLE MASS), THAT IS FOR SURE. NO WAY MY 45 YEAR OLD KNEES ARE GOING TO TAKE MILES AND MILES OF A 240LB BODY POUNDING ON THEM.

WHAT CAN YOU SUGGEST IN THE WAY OF DIETING AND TRAINING?

RIGHT NOW I DO ZERO CARDIO, BUT LIFT 5 DAYS A WEEK.

THANK YOU.

I hope you believe in reincarnation, cause it isn’t going to happen. Some good runners speed years preparing for marathons.

2 ton hoss, you can run a marathon. take it easy and go after it.

Maybe first you should think on running little distances.
There is a very good site where you can find plans for marathons:
www.runnersworld.com . You will find there valuable info.
start doing LSD (long slow distances) one day a week even if you walk at first (don't understimate walking). Diet will have carbs has main "Meal".
Build for your first 5k then 10k, half marathon..and so on

Good luck

www.coolrunning.com is also a good site for runners.

Expect to train for a long time - a couple of years maybe - especially if you are not gifted at running. Some people take to it easily, but most struggle. The BB there is a great resource. But unless you want to start a flame war - please don't post at the BB saying "I want to run a marathon this year, can you help me?"

www.halhigdon.com is also a good source for novice, intermediate and advanced training programs for 5k, 10k, half marathons and marathons. You might start with this page, which begins with the following:

PEOPLE DIFFER GREATLY IN ABILITY, but ideally before starting a marathon program, you should have been running about a year. You should be able to comfortably run distances between 3 and 6 miles. You should be training 3-5 days a week, averaging 15-25 miles a week. You should have run an occasional 5-K or 10-K race. It is possible to run a marathon with less of a training base (particularly if you come from another sport), but the higher your fitness level, the easier this 18-week program will be.

THANKS.

YEAH I DON'T WANT TO BE COMPETITIVE LOL, I JUST WANT TO RUN ONE, I DONT HAVE A TIME GOAL YET.

I AM THINKING OF TRYING IN 2004.

My wife and I trained and ran our first marathon together last year. I've done 5k/10k runs in the past, but not in years. We used the 18-week novice plan from halhigdon.com but in the last half we bumped up all distances by 10% to max out at 22 miles. The entire experience was great!

We tried to get into the Marine Corps Marathon this year, but our names weren't drawn in the lottery so we will settle for a half marathon they run in early October.

Go for it, you won't regret it. You do need to start running a couple of times a week. Hal Higdon's training plan is designed for someone already comfortable running 3-6 miles at a time. Its an 18-week training plan, so pick a race you want to train for and set up your training. Enjoy.

B-Mac

Top Bottom