Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

So I Started Strong Lifts 5X5 And...

gymrat surfer

It is definitely amazing and weird at the same time.

So as it says in the PDF, you're supposed to start off with the bar or 50% of your 5 rep max but still suggests the bar so I started around 50% OR A LITTLE LESS THEN 5 REP MAX.

It is definitely destroying my ego starting with the following weight according to his instructions...

Squat = 115lbs (I could do 315 for 5)
Bench = 115lbs (I could do 275lbs for 5!)
etc...

So basically, this is weird and abnormal for me. Can anyone shed some light or inspiration? I believe there is purpose behind the progression of adding 5lbs each workout. Looking forward to some insight. Especially those who are familiar with the 5X5. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that stuff was written particularly with new lifters in mind. Obviously, for people like yourself squatting 315x5 there's no need to start off at the bar or even at 50%. If you were going to going to start at 50%, even while making 10 lb jumps every week, it would take you something like 15-16 weeks just to get back to you're current numbers.

Something more reasonable would be to start at about 85-90% of your current 5-rep maxes and then ramp up 5-10 lbs a week. I think the stronglifts variation has you doing straight sets (ie. 5x5 at the same weight), so you'd probably want to reduce your 5-rep max to something like 90-95% to find your 5x5 rep max and then use that number to calculate what number to start off with. This is because most people can't do 5 sets with their absolute 5 rep max.

In sum, if you're indeed doing straight sets, and your current squat max is 315x5, I'd start with something around 255x5x5 (315*90%*90%)and then increase by 5-10 lbs a week.

you are looking at the beginner version of the stronglift 5x5...i would suggest you switch to a Bill Starr intermediate 5x5 instead.

There is absolutely no point in doing the routine you just mentionned. You will be simply wasting time making no progress at all

Top Bottom