Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Smolov Squat Cycle

BiggT

I have been itching to do the Smolov Squat Cycle for a couple of years.....I am looking it over and I think I am going to give it a go. I am finishing a cycle currently where I want to peak my squat clean, fron squat, incline, and deadlift, when I do that, I would like to take a week of maintainence training and then start. I'll probably run the 3 day intro cycle too as I haven't really been pushing my back squat super hard right now.

Anyway, I've got only 2 things I am unclear of. First, with the three day peaking cycle, is that 3 days in a row and then 3 days in a row of lunges? or do you Squat M-W-F and lunge in between? Second, during the second loading phase, are the %'s based off of your initial 1RM still or are they based off of the number you hit on the last workout of the first loading phase?

Other than those 2 things I want to get cleared up, I am all ready to do this around mid-March or so.

IF I can video some of the workouts or at least get pics, I will post a journal too.

Thanks, man, but it doesn't lol....I understand the whole program and the layout.....I just can't find anything on if the 2nd loading cycle's %'s are based on the original 1 rm or the number you hit on the last Sat of the first loading cycle, which should be significantly higher.......and also, I can't find anything with specifics on the intro cycle, like what days, or if it is MWF or 3 in a row.

BiggT said:
Thanks, man, but it doesn't lol....I understand the whole program and the layout.....I just can't find anything on if the 2nd loading cycle's %'s are based on the original 1 rm or the number you hit on the last Sat of the first loading cycle, which should be significantly higher.......and also, I can't find anything with specifics on the intro cycle, like what days, or if it is MWF or 3 in a row.

this may help

http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html

says new 1RM is used for second loading cycle

the intro based on what pavel says is three days of squatting in a row. thats what it says in that first link. then 3 days lunges in a row.

If you are starting Smolov's super cycle after a major layoff perform the following two-week introductory microcycle. The Russian lifter and author shows how you can reach 90% of your peak condition in just three days:

Day 1 65%x8x3, 70%x5, 75%x2x2, 80%x1
Day 2 65%x8x3, 70%x5, 75%x2x2, 80%x1
Day 3 70%x5x4, 75%x3, 80%x2x2, 90%x1

The percentages are based on your best suitless squat right before the layoff, not on an estimated current or projected max. "
The next three days of the first intro week spend doing lunges with the emphasis on maximal stretching of the thighs. "

then 2nd week:
During week two squat every other day with 80-85% weights. You must be able to work up to one set of five in that percentage range by the end of the second intro week"
"

Thanks.....I'm ultra clear on it now.....Numani, it may have been my interpretation of the first article not being clear whether or not to squat 3 days in a row then lunge 3, I got it now. And I'm good on the new 1 rm.....thanks again.

So Comrade, maybe you run Smolov journal here? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested - I don't think anyone has run it other than Coolcolj using the base mesocycle (he said he did great on it). Probably a lot of interest. Any idea what your other work is going to look like yet and how you are going to synch it?

I started a Smolov just after I ran my broken Korte and gave it up as hopeless in the first session.

I think Super Rice did the intro pre-cycle and had good gains. I'm pretty sure that he didn't go into the full Smolov cycle itself, though.

I'll second the request for a Smolov log here. If you slap it on another board, please link us to it. I'll be keen to watch.

Yeah dude - you gotta keep a journal for this - I aim to try it one day and would love someone to bounce q's off of.

I would definitely post the journal here....there is a good group of guys who post here....As far as my other work, after the squat, I'll pull. NO deadlifts of any kind, I'll probably do the power versions of the olympic lifts, as I don't want to add to the workload my legs will be under, some clean and snatch pulls, jump shrugs (even though the loads get a little ridiculous, these never fatique me and wear me down due to the short range of motion of the pull). I'll also do situps and back hypers on these days.

Sunday and Thursday I will make pressing/lat/upper days.....I'll probably incline on both days, 5's or 3's on Thurs and 5x8 on Sun, I'll do chins one day and rows the other, dips one day, Tate presses the other, I'll do either hammer curls or barbell curls on one of the days.

That's real rough, and I am gonna decide by March when I run this, but thats what I am thinking.

Top Bottom