Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Smith squats or barbell front squats?

asdfzxcv

Hello all
I have recently begun weight training and for the most part have been progressing well. However,I am currently limited in choice of equipment which can be used for squats. The area in which I workout lacks a Squat/power rack and I am forced to improvise on a smith machine :rolleyes: . I have found the smith machine to be very unnatural in its range of motion, especially for someone my height (6'4).

I now realise that I need access to a Squat/Power rack and I will be changing gyms in the next few months,hopefully to one with a Squat rack.
In the meantime I am wondering whether I should use the smith machine :rolleyes: to squat or whether I should learn to front squat via cleaning the weight into position. Obviously the weight I can front squat would be limited by my ability to clean it into position,but I feel that the range of motion is far better then the smith :rolleyes: .

Sorry about the long post.If anyone can provide insight as to whether I should opt for front bb or smith squats please post your opinions your input will greatly appreciated.

If your changing gyms it doesn't matter all that much try both do whatever gives you a good leg work out.

get strong at cleaning up the weight, and doing sets of front squats, IMO. you'll build up a great work capacity and also build a natural squat and a ton of stabilizers. by the time you get to the rack, you'll be well prepared to take out more weight on your back.

Top Bottom