Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To Smith or Not to Smith...

swordfish151

Morning gentlemen...question?...why is it better to do bench presses and squats on a regular bar then on the smith? For size or "growing" does it really matter if you do your squats on the smith...personally i do mine not on the smith at all..but a long time ago i used to do my squats and benching on the smith but dont remember why i stopped..

silver_shadow said:
well, i can immediately think of one reason... stabilizer muscles. less needed with the smith

That is probbaly the major reason for not using the smith, the lack of stabalizer muscles used. Another is it doesn't allow the lifter to follow the natural range of motion when doing any exercise. The smith only goes straight up and down while the natural motion for say the bench press has a slight arc in it.

NOT the smith. It is in no way similar to free weights. Melt it down, sell it as scrap. Better to have an empty space for pulling from the floor or another power rack.

Madcow2 said:
NOT the smith. It is in no way similar to free weights. Melt it down, sell it as scrap. Better to have an empty space for pulling from the floor or another power rack.

It's good for stretching and holding weights lol... but I guess a power rack can do all that and more.

Madcow2 said:
lol, in my gym, and even the previous one i went to, the smith would be used by noobs, chicks and shorter guys doing chinups ;)

All my lifts are free weights..i have noticed more and more guys in the gym doing EVERYTHING on the smith....squats, presses you name it...

It's looks sort of like a free weight and gives the impression of relative safety. Of course people are used to getting shitty results so no great shocker there. Sort of like lemmings deciding to jump off a 500 ft cliff rather than a 600 ft one. Welcome to bodybuilding and the fitness world.

Madcow2 said:
It's looks sort of like a free weight and gives the impression of relative safety. Of course people are used to getting shitty results so no great shocker there. Sort of like lemmings deciding to jump off a 500 ft cliff rather than a 600 ft one. Welcome to bodybuilding and the fitness world.
lol

Top Bottom