Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Smith Machine vs. Free Weights

tonystrong

For shoulder presses:
Do you prefer using the smith machine or free weights (straight bar, no dumbells). Does the Smith machine prohibit your full potential for growth in your delts?

Personally, I've found that free weights give me much better results/range of motion than a smith machine.

That's usually a last resort when you don't have a spotter. If I'm lifting alone though I'll often just use dumbells (can't get pinned under them).

When you use something like the smith machine you're not always using all your stablizier muscles and working muscle to it's full potential. I personally only use it when I can't get a spot.

I would agree. Using DB's you'll get tthe best range of motion and results.....Smith Machines is a last resort or a change of pace once in a while..

so it works your brain AND your body more?
cool.

i was using the smith machine for squats, but today i switched to a squat rack and i must say that i had to lower the weight a little, but i could feel the muscles all working more. Plus it didn't hurt my lower back and upper back as much. I think free weights are safer for you than the Smith.

Smith is great but the trainers at my gym explained that the free weights recruit more muscle into the exercise which means that there is more muscle breakdown which results in more muscle tissue to be repaired. I'm not 100 percent about this but this is what I was told!

well personally i hate the smith machine, at my old gym i HAD to use it, for squatting it cut a hole in my back because of the limited movement, it also seemed to fuck with my knees and on bench press it hurt my wrists.

I will NEVER use it EVER AGAIN!

free weights recruit stabiliser muscles, smith machine stabilises the balance of the weight using steel rails, so it isolates the working muscle ONLY

use free weights, you will get FAR LESS INJURED!!

smith machine is for sissies and girls. use free weights. a smith machine just doesnt follow the natural curve of motion. especially for things like squats.

Top Bottom