Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

smith machine military press vs. barbell military press

110%

i feel it a lot more in my front delts using the smith machine, what is everybody else's opioins on which one u do and y?

i have always noticed that incline bb bench seems to hit my front delts harder than any form of overhead presses. this has nothing do with what you asked, but i never really noticed much soreness on the front delts from either smith machine or bb overhead press.

I went from db overhead press for a few weeks, to a hammer strength type shoulder press for a few weeks, and now I'm doing military press on the smith for a few weeks. I don't do regular bb military.

I like using the smith because I don't have a spotter and it allows me to use the most weight out of the three exercises safely.

Like everything else.....do what works best for you.

I also feel the smith machine more in my front delts than when i do barbell overhead press- maybe its because in the smith machine you tend to push forward as you raise the weight? I usually alternate those exercises so i get the benefits from both.

In order of overall effectivness I feel it goes dumbells, barbells smith(and other machines) Free weights and especially dumbells bring in much more muscle in order to stabalize the joint and allow for a proper lift, one reaon you can barbell press more than dumbell and smith more than free barbell.....assuming the smith is well lubed and not hard to move of course.

I prefer dbs as my huge noggin' usually gets in the way. I do prefer regular bb over the smith, bc I get a pump in the whole delt as weel as upper back. I try not to do much isolation on compound exercises

The last time I used the smith machine for overheads...I had to carry my arms in my pockets for about 8 weeks... Never will I do that again...

B True

b fold the truth: "The last time I used the smith machine for overheads...I had to carry my arms in my pockets for about 8 weeks... Never will I do that again..."

That is some funny shit.

Yeah i am pretty much against the smith machine.

B-Fold,
Sorry to hear about the grim effect of the SMITH! I never like using it myself because it just felt "unnatural". So, I don't use it either.

110%,
To answer, I don't remember feeling more muscle soreness in my front delts.

All of y'all,
Evert try going with single dumbell overhead presses? Starting from the right angle upright position with the dumbell in one hand. Grab an object or structure with your other hand to balance your body. This is great for proportion, balance, and building muscle (obviously). See how they fare with, against, or paired along with Smith/Barbel overhead presses.

PolishHammer1977 said:
All of y'all,
Evert try going with single dumbell overhead presses? Starting from the right angle upright position with the dumbell in one hand. Grab an object or structure with your other hand to balance your body. This is great for proportion, balance, and building muscle (obviously). See how they fare with, against, or paired along with Smith/Barbel overhead presses.

I like it...gonna try it this week :D

Top Bottom