Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

size and strength

Unit 2005

can anyone give me some advice on a routine that will give me results in size and strength. Iv been training about 4 years and have quite a decent base to work with but am not seeing results.
How many days to train, how many exercises per bodypart, how many exercises per session, sets/reps?????????

I need to bulk up for rugby and i plan on eating like a horse and just need a bit of guidence with a routine.
I have been doing routines that involve bench, squats, cleans ect before but have;nt seen overall results...think i must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas or exmples of routines would be greatly appreaciated.

you need to first off start with telling us your stats, and your current routine!

and then give us an idea of what kind of routine you want to do, and we will tweak it a lil on our personal thoughts and expereinces!!

peace

5x5 over 4 days/week is great for both size and strength. Do a search for needsize's program.

If you've been training for 4 years with no results then you're either short changing yourself or you're doing something wrong. Post up what your week looks like.

I have seen results in the past, but for the last 6 months or so, when iv been trying to train for strength/power and size i find it more difficult.

Stats:- I weight around 175lbs, bench around 200lbs (pretty shite), squat, dead around 220, clean around 180.

Typical routine would look like:-

Monday:- (Chest, arms)

Bench - 3 x 6-8, maybe a burnout
Incline d/b press - 3 x8-10
close grip bench press - 3 x 10
d/b curl - 3x 10

wednesday - (back, shoulders)

Barbell rows - 3 x 10
lat pulldowns - 3 x 10
shrugs - 3 x 10
d/b press - 3 x 6-8
laterals - 3 x 10

Friday - (legs)

Squats 3 x 6-8
leg press 3 x 6-8
extensions 3 sets
leg curls 3 sets
calf raises 3 sets

The above is probably the routine iv followed most over the last few years, any suggestions on how to improve it, or examples of a more specific routine would be great!
I have also done a 4 day split (mon, tues, thurs, fri) and a 5 day (mon-fri).
Any more advice?????

First of all, what is your height?

Secondly, it looks to me like you are not doing enough sets alltogether, and not enough exersizes.

Check the training stickey at the top of this forum for different workouts but as far as I can advise, you need to add 1-2 more exersize per body workout.

Chest - you should add dips and crossovers or flies.
triceps - if you add dips then add also cable pullies or skulls.
Bi's add hammers and preacher bb curl.
Back - DEADLIFTS!
shoulders - maybe add some military lifts or side raises.
Leg day looks ok.

So I am saying here you need more volume. regarding size and strength you need to play around with rest times and rep ranges. You can try pyramiding or 5X5 for first set per body part, I like the idea of doing higher weight for first exersize (after good warmup) and then lower wieght and higher reps 8-12 range for any other exersizes you do after that. Some people make more size gains doing 15+ reps but that is rare and also depends on body part. Power and strength is the 3-6 rep range.

It can be confusing, I know I get confused all the time but try a routine out and then see how you feel it, tweak it according to what you feel and come back here and ask us all for our thoughts, I usually get great advise here once I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Cheers allon. Im 5'10, so pretty light really. So you reckon more exersices??? thats cool, but i dont know about cable crossovers and isolation type exercises, i am really looking for bulk and big gains in strength....although it would be great too tone up on the way, i think its pretty hard to do both at the same time.
You mentioned 5x5, i was thinking of something along those lines, seems to be the best fit in terms of hitting both aspects i am after. Any advice on constructing a 5x5??? im pretty sure it has to be bench, squats, deads, b/d press for 5x5.
what about other exercises like barbell rows, puldowns, laterals, curls, shrugs ect, do i do 5x5 for them too?? surely that would lead to overtraining??

Cheers

I am no expert on 5X5 but basically I understand that it works this way:
first exersize of body part should be compound Like squat for legs, bench for chest etc.. and thats the one you do 5X5 on. Then do other exersizes for same body partt but higher reps and 2-3 sets.

It s all in the training sticky thread at the top of this board.

Give MAX-OT a shot..............short, sweet, to the point...theories make sense to me anyways........

Top Bottom