Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

sitting still burns a higher rate of fat than any type of cardio t or f

Synpax said:

Wrong. Red K for you to come here giving out bad information on an issue that is so easy to document. You may as well tell people to administer the dianabol tablets rectally because they work better that way.

Percentage-wise, more fat is burnt, but so little total calories are burnt that the actual difference is meaningless.

I think I posted this yesterday on the Diet board:

From pg. 445 of Bob Glover's "The competitive Runner's Handbook":

What about the ontroversial idea that slower -paced running is better for burning fat and losing weight than faster-paced running? According t the theory, the "fat-burning zone" is between 50 and 60% of your maximum heart rate (MHR). Research at the University of Texas indeed found that fat provides for 90 percent of calories burned at that pace. At 75% of MHR, only 60% of calories burned comes from fat since yuor body switches to burning carbs as you run faster. So should you run slower to burn off more fat? According to the Texas study, running at the higher intensity, but still a conversational pace, actually resulted in more fat calories being burned. Why? The 50 percent intensity workout burned only 7 calories per minute while the 75% intensity workout burned twice that"

Amazon rating for the book would be a 5 but for people complaining that it had too much science-talk:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-2789606-6063144?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

And yeah, sitting in a freezer will burn fat, and it will also make you sick or give you hypothermia or frost bite.

At 75% of MHR, only 60% of calories burned comes from fat since yuor body switches to burning carbs as you run faster.

from this article you posted, im interpreting that it is saying that the less intense a cardio regimen is then a higher percentage amount of fat is being burnt per minute?

Syn - easy bro....you always believe everything you read????? Geezus, cut a break.........You should get the R Karma for poor grammar..........

JKurz1 said:
Syn - easy bro....you always believe everything you read????? Geezus, cut a break.........You should get the R Karma for poor grammar..........

to bad he's not beleiving what im reading.

im suprised most of you people dont know that the body relys on mainly fat at rest.

when doing cardio you burn up carbs protien and fat

we are talking about percentages here and no cardio is optimal for the highest percentage of fatloss. go do some research on the fuels the body relys on at rest. and where did this stuff about sitting in a freezer and eating a bigmac slowly come about lol

so are you saying that sitting in a freezing cold room burns fat or not? you alluded to that earlier...i personally think that your bod would not be burning fat when you are freezing b/c fat is what keeps you warm...your body is smarter than to burn the very thing that is maintaining its survival...

i did not say anything what so ever about sitting in the cold for fatloss, that was anabolicmd. but if you do want to play in the snow, your body has to rev up its metabolism so it doesnt die or freeze to death, thats where the calories are being burned

anabolicmd stated Actually, it is possible to burn more calories standing still then with aerobics, but only if you are sitting in a very cold room. Once thermogenesis kicks in, and the body starts to use fat for maintaining body temperature, it can very easily surpass the energy requirements of aerobics at room temperature

i wouldnt suggest this strategy, im shure if you were in -100degrees you would burn probably 500 cals in 10 minites lol. i can see it now, giant fridges being placed in gym and people freezing for ultimate rippedness.

"PrinceCharming" said:

At 75% of MHR, only 60% of calories burned comes from fat since yuor body switches to burning carbs as you run faster.

from this article you posted, im interpreting that it is saying that the less intense a cardio regimen is then a higher percentage amount of fat is being burnt per minute?

But your burn twice as many calories at 75% from 60%; clearly you can't read what I posted.

Name your sources, show a link, or shut up.

Hey boys let's keep it civil.

Prince, it may be that one burns a higher percentage of fat while resting, but that doesn't mean one burns more absolute fat.

Example (and I pulled these numbers out of my ass to illustrate a point):
Say, while resting, 100% of calories is derived from fat.
Say, while sprinting, that only 40% is derived from fat.

But resting for 10 minutes will consume 50 calories, and sprinting for 10 minutes will consume 400 calories.

40% of 400 is much higher than 100% of 50. See what we're saying here? That doesn't even include the EPOC (excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption) associated with depleting glycogen. That can cause the metabolism to be raised for many hours post-exercise.

casualbb said:
Hey boys let's keep it civil.

Prince, it may be that one burns a higher percentage of fat while resting, but that doesn't mean one burns more absolute fat.

Example (and I pulled these numbers out of my ass to illustrate a point):
Say, while resting, 100% of calories is derived from fat.
Say, while sprinting, that only 40% is derived from fat.

But resting for 10 minutes will consume 50 calories, and sprinting for 10 minutes will consume 400 calories.

40% of 400 is much higher than 100% of 50. See what we're saying here? That doesn't even include the EPOC (excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption) associated with depleting glycogen. That can cause the metabolism to be raised for many hours post-exercise.

good explanation. Just because something looks good on paper, doesnt mean that its real world applications are any good.
There is no way I could have gone from 13 - 4% bodyfat in 16 weeks if I just sat on my ass, as much as I hated it cardio was necessary

Sorry if I seem over the top. Something just sort or rubs me wrong when someone comes to a place with a reputation for solid advice and starts spouting obviously false information without any documentation. I mean, if you have found some new research or even personal experience that demonstrates something controversial, please come forth, but that's not what PC is doing.

Well, what do we have here - a study done by WSU showing that high intensity cardio reduces fat - even more than moderate cardio: http://www.wsu.edu/athletics/strength/intbfatmetab.htm

Top Bottom