Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Single Sets vs Multiple Sets

chaste

I have a read a few articles that claim that after some tests it turns out that doing single sets has the same effect of doing multiple sets.

A friend of mine who has a BS in health nutrition and has been lifting weights for years said that that really is incorrect or at least they are different for different people.

He said that if you want to really increase muscle mass than doing multiple sets of 6-8 reps with heavy weights is the way.

and single sets can work for people who are already big and lift weights to maintain.

What do you all think of the Single Sets vs. Multiple Sets argument?

chaste

yes there is much talk about if 1 set or multiple set is the way to go I personally belive in doing multiple sets as I'm sure almost everybody on here but some people train only 1 set and get great results, in training there is not just 1 right way to go, you have to find what works for you so if your not sure just try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes...

for example in the "Colorado experiment" Casey Viator gained a lot of muscle from doing 1 set exercises and sometimes 2 sets.....

hey maxellyz...i've always wondered about this since i first joined these boards...is that you in your avatar???

thats the king if im not mistaking..right max?

single sets..i know Dorian used a form of that..he did 2 warm up sets and one heavy set for each exercise...and he turned out rather god :)

There is quite a bit of evidence in the literature to suggest that a single set is AS effective as multiple sets. There are some studies, however, that have found that multiple sets are better. Many of these studies were poorly designed though. From my experience a single set performed to momentary muscular failure will result in significant growth. That's not to say one will get better results from single set training, only that the results from performing multiple sets are not significantly better. I think when using a very short time under load, however, single sets are less than ideal and multiple sets are a better choice; that's just my experience though.

Most of these studies, we are speaking of here, are done to test muscular performance, not hypertrophy. As far as muscular performance is concerned, most studuies have shown a 6% difference between single vs. multi set workouts. But as I said, this does not pertain to hypertrophy.

Even though there are studies w/ overwhelming evidence on this matter, I still feel all people are individuals, and should be treated as such.

MrMuscle said:
thats the king if im not mistaking..right max?

single sets..i know Dorian used a form of that..he did 2 warm up sets and one heavy set for each exercise...and he turned out rather god :)

You be right bro :)

I like only 2 sets, you can train with high intensity, and stay a short time in the gym, so you decrease de catabolism, and made a good fairuly.

Top Bottom