Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shoulder rehab suggestions

blaster220

I posted this past week about shoulder pain I am experiencing in my right upper deltoid area about halfway between my neck and shoulder when I flat bench. I've decided to cut out flat bench (barbell and dumbell) for a while and stick to incline and other chest movements until I get this pain straightened out.

However, in the meantime, I'd like to get a few suggestions of a few rehab exercises for my shoulder I may do for the time being to try and speed the healing process along. Anyone had any personal experience with a few that worked exceptionally well for them?

between your neck and your shoulder? like the AC joint? those dont feel good. i just leave mine alone til the pain subsides.

Go get some deep tissue massages done... You wouldn't believe the wonders they work..
I couldn't bench press for 2 YEARS! Yes 2 years, and after 5-6 deep tissue massages where they break down the scar tissue... I'm back benching again... 3 weeks back and I'm repping with 225... COMPLETELY pain free.

Yes, after some research, I do believe this is an AC joint injury. One site I found suggested that you shouldn't lock out on the bench, you shouldn't use a wide grip, or bend the elbows below horizontal... In the meantime, I think I'll do some standard shoulder rehab exercises everyday to keep the blood flowing, ice occasionally, and perhaps I'll give those deep tissue massages a try.

Any other suggestions?

From what I've gathered, my pain, which is exists between my neck and lateral deltoid (on top of the collar bone), is due to AC Joint irritation. The pain center is not typical of a rotator cuff injury.... am I wrong in believeing you can tell the difference? :confused:

I've had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago and in the last 2 months I have this AC joint problem. Trust me you know the difference. Your rotator injury will be felt on the edge or the cap of your shoulder. I still haven't figure out to get rid of this AC problem. Like Blaster said you feel the pain mostly on the bench press and it feels like a bad sprain in you your traps. Tried not lifting for a whole month and came back doing light weights and the pain was still there.

Here is something I found on the net:

In Brief: Osteolysis of the distal clavicle is a pathologic process involving resorption of the distal clavicle and is usually posttraumatic or caused by the repetitive microtrauma of weight lifting. Pain localized to the acromioclavicular joint and radiographs or bone scans showing pathology in the distal clavicle are diagnostic. Modification of activities, such as curtailment of weight lifting, often alleviates symptoms, but surgery is an option when conservative measures fail or for patients who cannot limit their activities.

Disorders of the acromioclavicular (AC) joint are a common cause of shoulder pain and generally involve the ligaments, bones, or articular surfaces. Isolated involvement of the articular surface can result from arthritis or osteolysis. Osteolysis of the distal clavicle is typically associated with AC pain and, on radiographs, a loss of subchondral bone detail, AC separation, and cystic changes (1).

Treatment
Treatment of the patient with osteolysis needs to be individualized. Factors to be considered include the extent of disability, hand dominance, activity level, and age.

Nonoperative treatment. Patients are initially started on a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and instructed in activity modification. Specifically, weight lifters should avoid bench presses, dips, flies, push-ups, and other lifts that elicit pain. Most patients will respond to activity modification; however, symptoms often recur if the previous weight-training schedule is reinstituted (2). Intra-articular corticosteroids can be considered for short-term symptom relief, but studies to date have not shown any long-term benefits (11). Because patients generally retain normal shoulder function, formal physical therapy is generally not initiated unless there is concomitant shoulder pathology. Patients whose condition does not respond to conservative management or who cannot limit their activities require surgery.

I have a shoulder problem and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I nworked out my chest and shoulders last Saturday. I did not fel any pain while I was working out. Around 3 in the morning I felt intense pain to the point where I was sweating. I could not straighten my left arm. The pain and numbness extended from my shoulder to my elbows. The pain has subsided but is not completely gone. Trying to figure out if this is a rotator, AC or nerve problem.

True muscle pain is relatively easy to distinguish from joint pain; palpation of the muscle belly will reproduce pain if muscle, shearing force at the joint line will reproduce symptoms if joint or ligamentous. There are other possibilities, that's why I like 45 minutes to do a full evaluation.
Antiinflammatories (aspirin and motrin are my favorites) are good to take in reasonable doses. If it continues to bother, get a referral for PT.
Ffactor, numbness or that strange pain WITH numbness are nerve symptoms 99% of the time. The 1% is excessive drug use or mental hysteria ;-)

Peace!
(A Prodigal Son)

Top Bottom