Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

shoulder press vs. arnold press

magman1

what are the advantages of the arnold press (bringing down further and turning palms in)? is it just more work on the triceps/rotator cuffs?

Alot of people swear by thembut I don't really like them myself. Ilike overhead press, and seated dumbell military press.

Arnolds take the stress off the rotator cuff. People coming back from shoulder injuries usually do Arnolds. Otherwise, it's basically if you feel there's an advantage to be gained from the isolation you get from dumbells and working each delt group unilaterally. I prefer military presses, but I like doing Arnolds as a superset with barbell curls when I feel my shoulders are lagging.

I agree. Having injured my shoulder, I always come back doing Arnold presses. Once I feel better and stronger, I go to just bb or db shoulder presses.

This may be a bit contra but I'd say that Arnold are best suited for people with bad shoulders and beginners who want to get a feel for working shoulders with overhead presses. I used to like them (and I must say that my delts were growing when I used them for 5 months as my key exercise - 6 years ago). These days they seem like an inefficient variant of the push press. Do them one in 10 weeks for a slight vaiation.

Not a Key exercise.

Top Bottom