Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

should i work out if i feel a cold coming on?

smallmovesal

Question: if you are feeling like you might be getting a cold, is it wise to work out? Will it run you down further?

It depends on how far along you feel the cold.

If I feel like I might be getting a cold, I always up my Vitamin C and Zinc (plus, I always take two multi-vitamins on training days...regardless). I started doing the extra zinc and vitamin C thing for colds a couple years ago and it's worked well. If I do get a cold it doesn't last as long, sometimes I don't get one at all when I think I will...placebo effect, whatever...the increase in dosage works. Take extra of both if you feel one coming on.

I wouldn't go balls-to-the-wall with my workout that day either but I would definintely hit the weight room. It always makes me feel better to get a pump on and get the blood flowing.

Now, if you are for sure sick or you know for sure you are GOING TO get sick, I would take the day(s) off. You body needs rest, fluids, vitamins, minerals, glutamine, etc and the aforementioned are depleted through exercise and weight training.

Just be smart and listen to your body.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

As soon as you feel a cold...take 500-1,000mg of vitamin c every hour for 4 or more hours. This is the only time that vitamin c will help with a cold.

B True

thanks... my bro and mum are sick right now and i've been sneezing and feeling that scratch in the back of my throat on and off... been taking those stresstab things, but i'll definitely do the vitamin c/zinc thing. thanks...

I read this somewhere ....

rule of thumb . If the cold is only a head cold, then continue training, if it spreads to your body dont train . I have tried this and seems to works .
P.S the Vitamine C is good advice.

------------------
"i said empty your mind. B formless shapless like water. U put water in a cup, it becomes the cup, u put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or it can crash ... b water my freind" - Bruce Lee

Keep trainning until you are positive you have a cold. Once you are certain you have got one then rest.

Your body is more focused on fighting infections, viruses and diseases then building muscles so if you train you will be breaking yourself down and not buidling back up. It is like one step forward, two steps back.

Top Bottom