Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should I train abs while bulking?

cgrayx

Hi,

I have recently started taking training seriously and am currently on a clean bulk and doing 6 reps x 5 sets of most excercises. What I want to know is: Should I train my abs now and build the muscle under the fat (~8.2% BF) for the time being and when I start cutting I assume they will start showing... or do I not bother for the time being at all and only start training ABS when I am cutting?

Probably the former, I know it's a really idiotic question but I am new and wanna be sure :)

Your abs should already be showing quite a bit if you're 8% BF. In my opinion, in general you don't need to train your abs, particularly if you're doing heavy compounds, unless you notice that a core related weakness is holding you back (some people might disagree with this). But, if you choose to do so, which is also an acceptable choice, then there's no reason to wait until you are cutting to do so. Doing abs work won't help you cut. Working your abs just makes them bigger and/or stronger. Being cut is a function of diet.

If you do want to start training them, weighted sit-ups on a decline bench, hanging leg raises bringing your shins all the way up to the bar you're hanging from, and prone bridges/planks are probably your best bet.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, that does answer my question, cheers mate. I didn't mean to imply that doing abs will make you cut, my bad.

In regards to the bodyfat - I simply don't understand it... I got my BF measured twice by a machine which is worth £500+ (think its Bodystat 5000) and I went from 7% to 8.2% in a few months, which is understandable as I was scarcely training. However, I don't LOOK like someone who has 8.2% BF so it makes me think it's wrong.... I dunno.You can't really see my abs at all.

Take a look at the pictures: bare in mind the tits are a product of pubertal gyno and I have ate a full days worth of food and just came back from the gym (water etc) but apart from being more flat in the morning it doesn't differ too much.

Perhaps I'd be better off uploading morning photos for you to judge whether I look 8.2% BF. Dunno how such expensive kit could be wrong tho.

6g97jr.jpg
291lsia.jpg

Hard to say from your pics, plus I wouldn't consider myself a pro at judging bodyfat by looking at a pic. How vascular are you in other areas of your body besides your midsection? There's two possibilities. Bodystat devices are bio-electrical impedance devices. Those types of devices tend to be somewhat inaccurate and are severely affected by hydration level and other factors, such as whether you crapped before hand etc. They can be 5% or more inaccurate. The other possibility is that you could be genetically predisposed toward carrying a lot of fat in your midsection/on your abs. In that case you should be quite vascular in other areas of your body. Keep in mind pro bodybuilders compete in the 3-5% range.

In any event, I wouldn't worry too much about the exact number. It's pretty meaningless. I'd say throw some abs work in if you have the time/energy. You don't need to go too crazy though. Something like 3 sets of 10 twice a week is fine.

Ok, cool. Yeah, I ended up training abs shortly after I made my first post (along with legs). I am quite vascular on my arms, etc., I guess.

I'll just have to wait and see when I start loosing fat in the future.

Thanks for your help bro, I gave you some Karma.

Ok I agree and disagree on the abs! Just because your trying to bulk up. Doesn't mean it's ok to skip it. That's like guys that work out there upper body, but not there legs. Look great on the top half, but look like there going to break if you add anymore weight to them. Abs are part of your body too. So you would definitely want to work them out, especially if your trying to improve in that area. As far as burning fat and bulking. All you have to do my man is eat clean. What you consume is very important on how your going to look. You can still bulk up and have abs. Bulking up on a cycle doesn't mean to get fat. I would research a little more my friend before you take the first persons advice.

Oh by the way! a little low intensity cardio 30 min after your work out will help get the abs to show, but at a reasonable pace are you could lose your gains. You don't need to run a 2 miles to burn fat. I also seen that you ate 19. I wouldn't advice you to do steroids at your age yet. You could stunt your growth, and cause alot of other problems i'n the future. I would read a little more info bud before you start anything heavy, and get some advice.

Thanks for your advice, Alvin. Even know I am here on the forum, I have no intention of doing steroids at all, lol.

The problem is I'd have to lose EXISTING fat to get my abs showing, which is hard while bulking, as you said you can lose gains etc if you're not careful

Ok. Take a look at this pic bro - when I took the pic last night I had all days food and water in me and the massive amount of water just consumed at the gym after taking the pic (it was night time in UK). I've looked at other pictures of 13% BF online, and I don't look like that , I don't think

I've uploaded loads of pictures from this morning (11am after eating brekfast) - I have virtually no fat on my legs or back:

33vkvbk.jpg
ekjmdc.jpg
2195r8x.jpg
2zyfqli.jpg
330cv40.jpg
2413thx.jpg

I would say you are 13%

at 8% you would have clear ab visibility, seperation between delt heads, delt insertion would be raised out from the arms giving them that "popping" look, you would have seperation between the differant heads of your quads. You would also probably have some veins showing in your arms.

You can use this as a reference: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117891901

Top Bottom