Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should I attempt to teach myself power cleans?

thedreamthief

I've been doing the slightly modified Rippetoe's 3X5 where I do Pendlay rows instead of power cleans. I would like to start doing power cleans.

I have read Starting Strength and power cleans seem like a fairly complex exercise.

I have also read opinions that if you do not have someone to teach you, or have never done it, or do not have the proper equipment (mainly bump stops since they claim it is *required* that you drop the weight...my gym is not set up for this.) you should not attempt them. Here's the link that mentions the above .. it was linked from the training sticky: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=13263240&postcount=13

What is everyone's opinion? Should I try to learn them on my own?

I have never seen anyone at my gym do them ... most people there live on curls and the cable machines. The PT's there are pretty useless as far as I can tell.

If there is no one there to teach you then just try them with very light weight until you get you get them down. They arent that hard to do. Kids in jr/highschool are doing them for football so you should be able to pick it up pretty quick. Just dont overload until you have the proper technique.

my gym doesnt like people dropping the weights and stuff (i only pay $10 a month I gotta get outta there lol) so i just put down a couple of extra pads where the weights would hit and dont slam em down

ya' if you've read the book, you should know exactly what to do, and work on it with light weights to get it imbedded in your head the correct form, and you can progress from there with increases you feel most comfortable with.

You can also get a long stick, like a broom, and if you have a big enough mirror, just look at it and perform the exercise in slow motion and practice it, that way when it looks correct, then you can perform it correctly with weights.

Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Its a must have to learn the big three and power clean properly.

Top Bottom