Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

short time lifter, FIRST time squatter, need help...

kentucky

When I do a squat, I feel like I'm going to fall backwards, and I am not able to go as deep as I want to. Am I doing too much weight, or dropping too fast or what?

your hams probably aren't strong enough yet. keep workign on it and do glute/ham raises and strengthen your core

You may hate this, but try doing several slow squats with just the bar. This will help you get used to the feeling of squating and make your balance better. I still do it as the 1st warm-up.
Kinda gets you in the mindset.

you need to work on your form....

experiment with your stance, develop flexibilty in your hams, calves, hips, etc.

work on perfecting your form before you start to add heavy weight.

Master your movement first - it takes time - so don't get yourself too frustrated.

Use the bar first as Toozee stated then slowly add weight but don't sacrifice proper form for more weight.

a good way to practice the squat is by doing good mornings and front squats...

You may hate this, but try doing several slow squats with just the bar. This will help you get used to the feeling of squating and make your balance better. I still do it as the 1st warm-up.
Kinda gets you in the mindset.
This is what I did when I started just a few months ago. I actually just used the bar to make sure I got my form down right. Even now I'll do a few reps with just the bar before I start doing my actual sets.

It's kind of amusing to watch people pile on the weight and then only go down 45 degrees or less.

I practice on the smith machine first (once and never again). I felt the same thing...just takes awhile to get used to and try to strengthen your weak links...squat to parallel. Just when your hamstrings/quadriceps are perfectly parallel with the floor. as though you're sitting on a chair...In other words, there should be a 90 degree bend in your legs.

Top Bottom