Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shin Splints, Lower Leg Pain

JoeBlackSpade

Hey everyone. I was hoping some of you seasoned runners could offer a moment of your time and brain energy on my question:

How do I get rid of shin splints?

Background: I'm 210lbs, 6', in good health, normal blood pressure, good resting HR, etc. I suffered from Shin Splints in high school on the cross country team, and later, while training for the Marine Corps I aggravated the problem with ruck runs, heavy packs, rappelling at high speed, etc.

One day (again, years ago in the USMC) it reached a breaking point, where I actually collapsed to the ground unable to move. This particular day, it was running a hilly cross country course, and the pain just built and built and built. I stopped. I walked. I stretched. Then the pain just exploded, pulsing in my shins, and I laid out on the ground in the fetal position. Words cannot explain the pain I went through. It was like sledghammers hitting me on my shin bones.

I didn't run again for 2 weeks, and after that I healed up. Eventually the problem went away by itself (I have no idea why.) For the rest of my time in the Marines, the problem didn't recur, and I went on to run 50K events, without a problem.

Now, fast forward to modern day, and I am training very hard again, but this time, I'm prepping for marathon distance running. My training week is divided between power and bulk lifting for my upper body, and long runs for my lower body. I do this because I don't want to look like one of those championship Kenya runners, and lose all of my upper body mass.

My diet right now is about 80% to 85% protein, super low fat, and very modest carbs. I know that a low carb diet isn't good for glycogen, but I'm trying to get my body to burn fat for its energy. Its not easy sticking to this, as I get very hot, and have to exert alot of effort to keep running anything past 4 miles. Despite this, my fat loss has been VERY VERY SLOW. (Grrrr!):mad:

Anyway, not to get off track, as my distances have gone up lately, my shins have started to hurt again. The last time this happened, it reached a pinnacle that left me on the ground in the fetal position, and immobilized from the knees down for 2 weeks .

I don't want this to happen again.

What am I doing WRONG????

Improper stretching
Lack of warm-up
Training too hard
Increasing mileage too quickly
Running or jumping on hard surfaces
Muscle imbalance between the posterior and anterior leg
Worn out shoes that do not have enough support
Running on a tilted or slanted surface
Other biomechanical issues

My guess.........Your increasing your miles to quick....10% increase a week.......Stop running,,,,ice motrin and rest until the pain goes away

All the aforementioned suggestions are possible, but since the pain goes away after a few weeks off, maybe you may have a muscle imbalance. Myself, when the shins hurt, I hit the tibia dorsi flex machine (http://www.pro-fitness.com/tibia_dorsi_flexion_machine.htm). In a few days, I am back to normal. If your gym does not have this machine, you can stand on the edge of a stair to perform this excercise.

Similarly, I get rid of knee pain by hitting the hip abductor/adductor machines. In long distance training, we overuse some muscle groups. The resulting imbalance tugs on a point, say the kneecap, pulling it away from 'center'. Strengthening the underused muscle groups helps to 'recenter' the kneecap.

I can boost my mileage from 45 to 70 miles a week by strength training.

Good luck!

JoeBlackSpade said:
Hey everyone. I was hoping some of you seasoned runners could offer a moment of your time and brain energy on my question:

How do I get rid of shin splints?

Background: I'm 210lbs, 6', in good health, normal blood pressure, good resting HR, etc. I suffered from Shin Splints in high school on the cross country team, and later, while training for the Marine Corps I aggravated the problem with ruck runs, heavy packs, rappelling at high speed, etc.

One day (again, years ago in the USMC) it reached a breaking point, where I actually collapsed to the ground unable to move. This particular day, it was running a hilly cross country course, and the pain just built and built and built. I stopped. I walked. I stretched. Then the pain just exploded, pulsing in my shins, and I laid out on the ground in the fetal position. Words cannot explain the pain I went through. It was like sledghammers hitting me on my shin bones.

I didn't run again for 2 weeks, and after that I healed up. Eventually the problem went away by itself (I have no idea why.) For the rest of my time in the Marines, the problem didn't recur, and I went on to run 50K events, without a problem.

Now, fast forward to modern day, and I am training very hard again, but this time, I'm prepping for marathon distance running. My training week is divided between power and bulk lifting for my upper body, and long runs for my lower body. I do this because I don't want to look like one of those championship Kenya runners, and lose all of my upper body mass.

My diet right now is about 80% to 85% protein, super low fat, and very modest carbs. I know that a low carb diet isn't good for glycogen, but I'm trying to get my body to burn fat for its energy. Its not easy sticking to this, as I get very hot, and have to exert alot of effort to keep running anything past 4 miles. Despite this, my fat loss has been VERY VERY SLOW. (Grrrr!):mad:

Anyway, not to get off track, as my distances have gone up lately, my shins have started to hurt again. The last time this happened, it reached a pinnacle that left me on the ground in the fetal position, and immobilized from the knees down for 2 weeks .

I don't want this to happen again.

What am I doing WRONG????

Thank you very much for the tips! I seriously appreciate it.

For me, staying motivated long enough to keep running is already hard enough. When I start getting pain like this, it all but shuts me down.

I'll ease up on the mileage, and also start doing some other supporting exercises.

Any other suggestions- with regards to the exercises I can do?

this will sound absurd but it works--sit on the edge of a chair, toss some pencils on the floor, and pick-up them up with your toes.

good luck

or walk around in circles on your heels...with your toes lifted up.......sounds strange I know!

Try running every other day for a few weeks i know it sucks but think of it in the long run ....also try taking an ice bath after your run for about ten minutes followed by a hot shower...that should help

I had the same problem a few months ago...was running everyday for 2-4 hrs...my legs felt like they were gonna break, im sure you know the kind of pain im talking about. I took two weeks off then started again slowly...ice baths helped alot and applied some icy hot before i went out...hope it works out for you.

princesa said:
Try running every other day for a few weeks i know it sucks but think of it in the long run ....also try taking an ice bath after your run for about ten minutes followed by a hot shower...that should help

I had the same problem a few months ago...was running everyday for 2-4 hrs...my legs felt like they were gonna break, im sure you know the kind of pain im talking about. I took two weeks off then started again slowly...ice baths helped alot and applied some icy hot before i went out...hope it works out for you.

2-4 hrs a day? wow, i don't even bike that much :)

I took a few days off, and have been doing the heel-walk inside the gym. People look at me funny, but I just smile and wink like I'm a movie star or something. Its pretty funny. With the dudes, I give them a thumbs up. The momentary confusion they get- with little involuntary forehead muscles twitching- is pretty hysterical.

Thing is, I'm afraid of losing cardiovascular fitness with reduction in mileage, so I started doing laps in the pool. MAN! That's tough! Here I thought my cardio fitness was alright, and doing 500 meters in the pool freestyle kicked my ass.

The nice thing about it was ZERO impact, so I could work out without any shock to the shin bones.

About the toe-pencil picking up thing: That's going to work all the little support muscles, right? I'm not so sure I understand how these muscle exercises are going to help, when the pain seems to be in my bones. I'll try it, but I don't know if you're messing with me or not.

there are a bunch of specific diagnoses for the generic "shin splints" but usually the pain from shin splints is actually not in the bone itself but the tendons and soft connective tissues. The funky exercises usually work--if they don't (after a few weeks of rest) you may want to make sure its not a stress fracture.

Top Bottom