Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

shin splints

tbuz67

Has anyone ever had to deal with shin splints? i've heard that these may turn into stress fractures, which could put someone out for weeks. Please share experiences, remedies, symptoms, routine modifications, etc. I think I'm experiencing shin splints and I'm curious as to how many others are out there that experience this. I run/walk 2 miles eight times a week (to & from work). I've been at it since mid March.

Hi there,

Welcome to the cardio board.

Where are you feeling the pain?

One possible solution is that you need better running shoes. Most name brands you buy at general sports stores are made for neutral runners - plenty of cushioning but relatively little support. However, most runners are not neutral. So maybe try going to a running specialty store where they can give you what is called a 'stride' or 'gate' analysis. Basically, you run on a treadmill and they have a camera at ground level behind you. They look at the closed circuit TV in front of you and make a determination.

I have them as well, Ice works afterwards,

you have them due to your shins not being use to and haivng to adapt to taking the impact of running, try running on a softer surface instead of pounding the pavement or treadmill, possibly after a while they may go away, mine usually do after i get a good base going

http://www.spinalhealth.net/inj-shin.html

HEY TBUZ,
i persoanllly have expiereinced bad shin splintz wich did inturn turn into slight fractures. I played baseball in high school, this is where i got them from. I use to run and ignore the pains until they got too much for me. I went to se the doctor wich then had me go through lazer treatment to loosen the sac behind the calf muscle because they were so swolen. I also had several mri on my legs. Today they are back to normal, but they get tired very easily and if i run though the tiredness i get very hot burning sensations on my shins. Go get your shin splintz taken care of before its too late.

See ya
< mike

I'm going to take it easy for a week to see if the pain subsides. Its not too bad yet, but its been getting worse every time i run, even after a few days off. Actually, it got pretty bad, then went away once before when i started on treadmill in Jan. I know people don't especially care for cardio when they lift, but I'm trying to lose weight so I can bulk up, hopefully in Aug or Sept. Since Jan, I've been averaging 1.6 lb loss a week and I really don't wish to stop running. But what I've read so far sounds like i'd better. That thing with the bag cut out of your calf? yikes. I better get better shoes, too.

ya tbuz i know how you feel, i didnt want to stop playing my favorite sport, and i ddint, and i paid for it the next season by not being able to play. Shin Splintz are a very long injury. I remember the days of playing basketball at the park with my boys and feeling some pain, and on the way home i started realizing how bad the pain is and by the time i got home, my shins were completely on fire and on pain. If i were you i would get it checked out before its too late, hey ya never know it could be something else. also, he can show you how to ice/heat when they hurt, for faster recovery.

See ya
mike

tbuz67 said:
stress fractures.
Oh my, this is my nightmare. I've had this happen a few times - the extent of pain makes it infeasible to even walk.
I am a frequent visitor at the sports rehab clinic - the stuff that really helps are the massages of the muscles and ultrasound. Anti-inflammation drugs - I'd stay away from those mainly because masking pain makes you more susceptible to inducing more damage (you don't feel it, so you think it's all straight).
Prednison shots - for obvious reason these are not an optimal option..
Generally, stretching, massages are a great option when trying to warrant shin splints; also having strong calves helps, since it aalleviates the pressure from the shins..
Good advice above on softer surfaces, and also the thing that goes in your shoe (I forget name)..

nice info juve i had to go through the same proccess. You know what feels great? When you lay and they ice your legs and massage it out, then they take the lazer for cell regrowth and message it in some more, but when ya get home it just hurts all over again lol. Im glad and upset to see that i wasnt the only one with this problem, but i feel bad someone had to suffer with me lol. Glad to see your all healed!
mike

The pain I was experiencing is behind the leg, below the calf. The calf muscle itself is OK, it doesn't even get sore. The weird thing is, when I would start running, despite the pain, it would go away after a hundred yards or two. The pain would go away and I could run and run. But after I stop and walk, I would feel the dull pain. It would hurt just when I stepped. Sitting down or just not moving my leg, and I feel nothing. I'm optimistic, though, because today, the pain is all but gone. The last time I ran was on Tuesday.
Time to buy some decent shoes!

Top Bottom