Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

shin splints

Wow. Ok - that's the third place that I've heard of shin splints happening. Are you sure they are even shin splints?

I have had them in the front of my shins and on the interior of my ankle.

I hope that it is just a shin splint. I've been reading alot about shin splints on the net and there seems to be differing opinions on it. Some say it happens in the front of the leg, others say in the back. Some web pages say that they are serious, others say that they are no big deal. One web page stated that I can keep doing a reduced level workout, which will build up the calf muscles to the point that the shin splint will go away.
Personally, my plan of action is going to be first to give my leg plenty of rest. I'll get my cardio with biking, stair-stepper, and my mom's Gazelle. I've tried all of these in the last few days and none of these seem to cause any problems. Maybe I'll give it up to 2 weeks.
Secondly, I'll throw down some major green on a decent pair of running shoes from a good shoe store that has experience in this area.
Third, I'm going to incorporate into my routine some thorough stretching and warm-up exercises before and after each run. I'll also pay better attention to my running form.
Last, I'm going to ease myself back into my routine, instead of going all out just to push myself as hard as I can. I figured, thats the way I lift weights, I'll take the same approach to road work. Time to re-think that stragedy.

If anyone thinks, or knows, that I'm missing something, or doing something wrong here, please post!!!!!!!!!1

At this point, it feels better with each passing day.

For me, the best way to get rid of shin splints is to run more often, every day.

This has been true going all the way back to high school. If I took two days off, I know that on the third day I would have shin splints. If I ran every day or maybe took one day off, I'd be fine.

Even now - I know that if I take a break I will have to deal with one or two workouts of shin splints to break them back in again.

So far i've rid myself of them by running really slow at first. basically getting your legs up to speed. I started out by running 20-25 min @ 5.0 mph. Basically I had no stride, but no splints either. From there, every 10 days or so, i've up my speed by .2 or .3. Right now, i'm at 6.5 mph for 25 minutes and doing fine. Also, running on a track at the local HS gave me the worst shin splints ever. I'm not sure why either.

one more thing to add would be adequate rest and electrolytes. Improper electrlytes balance or lack of rest and relaxation of muscle makes it stiff/retain lactic acid+rampant cortisol levels/inflammation=injury prone. The worst injuries I received were when my rest was not on par with the rest of my routine :eek:

I work with athletes everyday in sports medicine. Shoe support is terrible these days. Shin splints in the back of the leg are more common than you might think. One of the first things we look at is to see if your shoes have a good arch support. Most have virtually none. Most of the time, a good arch support will solve the problem. It needs to a support that is rigid. You may be able to find some at a running shop. Most drug stores and Walmart, etc. do not carry them. I have had about ten athletes this year complaining of shin splints and this has helped in every case.

samson42 said:
One of the first things we look at is to see if your shoes have a good arch support. .

I have one specifically sculpted for my feet - excellent stuff! Makes a huge difference, even when simply walking - but for running it's a must!

Shin Splints are also caused by a stronger gastrocnemieus (calf) and a weaker Anterior Tibialis ("shin muscle"). You can relieve long term shin splints by strengthening your Ant Tib.

Your pain sounds like it is in the Achilles Tendon area.... ever had an injury there? Don't want to screw with busting an Achilles...you'll be out of commission for awhile.

No more shin splints! I guess I just needed some days off, then starting back with light running. My legs don't hurt anymore. I"m also limiting the amount of running i'm doing. I'll get back to my routine in time, but for now i'll take things light. I don't want to have to take more time foo.

Top Bottom