Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shades - Linear/Single Factor 5x5 Progess

Shades McCool

Ok well after some reading I have decided to go with the Linear/Single Factor 5x5 (Intermediate) workout scheme this summer. I'd like to put on a good 10-15lbs at most and this seems like it would be the best scheme to do it.

With the goal of getting my speed back up to where it used to be strength will be needed. I haven't lifted total body like this since high school so this should be fun.

I'll be doing the test lifts to plug into the excel speadsheet next week as it my week of med school finals. I'll then start the program the following week. I have a NIH grant to do research all summer so I'll have plenty of time to lift.

The only modification to the scheme will be substituting power cleans in for the rows.

Oh here are a few stats to start with:
Height - 5'11"
Weight - 179.5lbs
Bodyfat - last tested at 9% but probably 10% now
Bench max - 315 (Thats the only 1RM I have as of now)
Goal - to add 10lbs and get my 40 yard dash around 4.7 or lower

Anyone have any advice or comments?!?

Just that the amount of weight you put on will be determined most by what you eat and not so much how you train. I put on a good 30-35 lbs in a few months with this program but I was also eating everything including pets and children.

I'd keep rows in there somewhere; even if you do them at the end of your workout for a couple sets of 8. Add a few lbs to the bar each week. Nothing stimulated growth in my back like those Pendlay Rows. http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366601

Thanks, I'll see if I can get them in there somewhere. The reason for the sub is to get the explosion factor of cleans. You gotta love that!

You wanna increase your sprinting ability? PM CCJ.

I enjoy reading his threads about creating an explosive MOFO. I'll ask him for some insight on the actual sprint work I plan to do a few mornings a week.

Man, I was a 4.6 guy at 200lbs in high school and now that I am 23 I just hope I can stay consistently at 4.7. All I want it for is flag football! The QB has to be a running threat!

Explosive and reactive work (along with proper form) is great for increasing both VJ and sprinting ability. Along with that, just getting a better squat (usually effective up until 2xBW, then it drops off immensely) helps with those athletic abilities.

Check out Charlie Francis' forums, too.

Overall I am really excited about starting this scheme. I almost wish I had a shithole to dungeon in. Would go along with the overall nature of this workout.

:dance2: Hey Shades!

Looks like a solid starting place. I need to go look at your selected program a little closer tonite, but the goals are entirely doable.

Along w/ just the sprinting, are there any other sort of plyo-type training things that could contribute to the explosion thing?

What is your diet plan w/ this? That's where you'll get your first round of results -- a bulker would get you the mass, but I imagine you don't want to slow down as a result. Some balance of just enough but not too much?

Top Bottom