Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sets to failure or 5x5

DDizzy

which do u think is better for building strength and mass

i currently am on a workout with sets to failure which you can see here

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428175

i have seen gains but i was wonderin if it would be beta to go to a 5x5

if so can someone explain what a 5 x5 is...tho iam looking into it so i may kno before u post but ty anyway

id also like to kno if im doin too much..all help appreciated

Dude, you need to get Starting Strength. It will help you more than any of us on this board can. There are chapters for the 5 most important lifts at approximately 30 pages per chapter (lots of pictures/diagrams also), with sections on programming. There are a lot of patient people on this site but no one is going to give you that depth of information.

Here's a link that you would be wise to read. Lots of good info on trainig to failure and why it's not the best approach. The 5x5 is a topic of discussion in this thread as well:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529000

You mention being a beginner but you haven't explicitly stated how long you've been training. Throw us a bone.

In terms of 5x5, concentrate on this version and learning the movements that comprise it (hint-hint Starting Strength):
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4497774&postcount=15

You're going ot have to put some effort into reading what's already been written. Your questions aren't new and the 5x5 thread is ALWAYS on page 1 of this forum. Ask q's when something doesn't make sense or if you have a specific problem. Until you take the advice that's given (or at least read it) there's not much else anyone can do for you.

I'd recomend 5x5 over failure training but liek the above pointed out wisely, we need more info
don't feel bad almost no one posts a question with enough information to actually answer it
it's a like a newbie walking past the bench press and curl stand to do deadlifts
it dosn't happen

Training to failure has never once been necessary for muscular hypertrophy or strength progression. It can work, sure. Is it optimal? Not likely. You'll drain your CNS and hinder recovery capabilities. Frequent loading plays a big role in hypertrophy and, to a lesser degree, strength gains. Going to failure will lead you to overtraining rather quickly if the volume and frequency is at an appreciable level.

Most are going to recommend the 5x5 routine. It's tried and true.

higher frequency dosn't impact strength gains much?
or just not as much as hypertrophy
cus my best strength gains came from a relativly high frequency routine

As somone who trainied to failure Dorian Yates style for almost 10 years, I can comfirtably say that the 5x5 method is superior (for natural athletes).

Someone said something the other day taht really clicked with me. If you train to failure you won't be able to do as many sets as you would if you stopped short as you'd burn out - it's better to stop with a little left in the tank than to grind out that extra rep and not be able to do another set.

I was always a train to failure or you won't grow kinda guy. Every set I did used to be to failure and I would make gains, but then kinda stagnate. Your CNS seems to just get burned out big time if you train to failure all the time, esp. if it involves low reps and heavy weights. After doing my 5x5(almost done) I am amazed at the strength and size gains I have made. 5x5 is more for strength, but size always follows strength.

Knowing what I do now, I would never train like I used to with every set to failure. On top of being tougher, its less productive.

Top Bottom