Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

# of sets

i usually only do 9 sets for the smaller groups and around 12

for the bigger muscle groups....even when on. I just add some

intensity when i'm on.

needleboy said:
I'm a big Mentzer fan. One set is enough if you take the muscle to COMPLETE FAILURE!!!
Right on bro, same here. 1 to 2 sets to failure maximum per exercise. That is enough to stimulate growth. Took me years to learn this.

4-5 sets of ten reps is a general rule of thumb I go by. If I fail by my 7th or 8th rep, then I'm cool and i stay at that wieght.

Poliquin has written a whole book on the subject of reps/sets. I forgot what it's called (Modern Trends In Strength Training?!?) but it's a good read. Anyway, he asserts that the # of reps and sets depends on (a) whether you're training for strength or size (b) what body part you're training. Some body parts respond better to higher reps (calves, forearms), and some respond better to higher sets. my $0.02

Do only compound exercises; do 8-10 sets of 4-6 reps; gotta use enough weight so you can do the 6th rep but fail on the 7th. I train ever day, Monday thru Friday, doing a split routine.

needsize said:
Just wondering how many more sets per body part I should be doing while on gear. I am 5'9", generally around 200lbs, 10%bf, 26 years and have been training for over 10 years naturally. I generally do 8-10 sets per small body part, ie bi's or tri's, more for bigger muscle groups. I am also partial to the 5 sets of 5 routine for compound exercises so not all of those sets are to failure. I am presently on dbol 30mg/ed and sust 500mg per week. So far I have just been adding in a few more sets per workout but it is just guesswork.

Sounds good to me!

some things work for different people, just b/c some are mike mentzer fans and they use his strategy it may work great for them, but others it might suck for and they have to do set after set. it just depends on how your body responds to the stimulus of the exercise.

mikelong23 said:
some things work for different people, just b/c some are mike mentzer fans and they use his strategy it may work great for them, but others it might suck for and they have to do set after set. it just depends on how your body responds to the stimulus of the exercise.
Mike Mentzer's strategy works for everybody. The only way results vary is in recovery time. Some people take 2 days to recover from a workout, some 2 weeks or more- it depends on your genetics. you have to find out for yourself. If you find you're not getting stronger from workout to workout, you're either not training with enough intensity, or not giving yourself enough time to recuperate.(providing your diet is good of course). Packing on muscle is an exact science that applies to everyone,the only variable is recovery ability.

Top Bottom