Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

serious periodization question

Slyder190

So who out there uses periodization? How do you guys apply it to your training. Can you give me a few samples? I've never applied it in a serious manner before and want to take a logical approach to putting on more size. Thanks.

one technique you can use is to do 2 things with your training.
1.optimize your nervous system
2.work for hypertrophy.
(im speaking with regards to someone trying to grow or work for strength)

Optimizing Nervous System

this is the part that frustrates most people, myself included. there are many ways to do it. the basic premise is to use a lighter load and challenge balance and coordination. swiss balls, alternating presses, standing on single leg, half foam rolls etc. all of these present an unstable atmosphere with which you go through your basic movements.
example:
alternating dbell presses on a stability ball.
the fact that you will have to lighten the load and concentrate more, and slow down more will build coordination. the idea here is to build more neuromuscular connections.
another example:
single leg squats.
easier said than done. by ensuring proper knee tracking, you build stability in the knees and also in your core stability.

ah, core stability. you have heard me say it and others as well. this is the key for this training. though you are going through exercises for the extremities and challenging the muscle through balance, your core stability is also getting challenged.

heres where i bring it together. NOW we move on to the power/hypertrophy portion. having done this type of stability training for 4-6 weeks, we are now ready to put the stability ball etc away and move on to power.

when working with the unstable platforms we had to concentrate more and your nervous system adapted. how is this going to help here? simple. now we go back to the good old flat bench, regular back squat, tbar rows etc. with a nervous system that is used to an unstable surface how does it respond to being stable again? by being more efficient. thus, more fiber recruitment, stronger pullls, pushes, etc because the body doesnt have to worry about balance.

so we are back on a power program for another 6 weeks or so with newfound stability, able to push more weight because quite frankly the stability factor is gone, now its all muscular adaptation.

the 2 biggest things you want to challenge to ensure avoiding a plateau: Nervous sytem, and muscular system. the nervous system is the wiring to the motor. if you increase the amount of wires working to the motor, you use more of the motor. basic analogy.

hope that helps.

i find that i get so wrapped up in wanting to grow all the time that i neglect periodization. im impatient just as some of you probably are. its possible to throw some of these exercises in for good measure, and im sure it will help but to optimize your nervous system fully, its ideal to go to a full on program for a period of time, and then come back to the power movements. this is a good way to cycle back on the extreme dietary measures that some of us take too. if you are into protein periodization, ie. high protein levels during growth and then throttling back to allow the body to get efficient with it again, this would be ideal for you.

believe it or not, the body gets sloppy with everything. nutrition, nervous system, muscular system etc.

Nate.....

I'm just curious why you put stabilization/coordination training as nervous system optimization training? What you described is basically proprioceptive training and it helps with general balance and coordination, and is often used in sports where functional strength is very important. Neural optimimization training would be to train a specific movement in a low rep range with high weight, or you could use a light weight for explosive low rep sets for 5-8 sets...or both, with the goal being to perform this specific movement as well as possible (usually on a given date, thus failure training is not used).

stabilization requires coordination. low rep high weight would be decent for fiber recruitment but thats the standard way things tend to be done around here. lightening the load does increase pnf, but what is pnf? concentration, neuromuscular control, coordination.
coordination is the direct result of a well functioning nervous system, one that has been optimized. stability training is a secondary result of the main goal. unstable platforms require the body to use balance but also challenge stabilizer muscles to a greater degree. core stability becomes paramounts since most things are done either on a stablity ball, half foam roll, diamond disks, single leg, etc. there is no pad to rest against, to take the brunt of the load and just allow the muscle to work.

these are the 2 principles im referring to:

Neuromuscular Stabilization Training (balance)

Neuromuscular Stabilization Training (NST) enables the body’s neuromuscular system to synergistically reduce force, produce force, and dynamically stabilize the entire kinetic chain in all three planes of motion. NST will develop neuromuscular efficiency enabling the participant to maintain their balance during functional movement patterns, whether competing on the field of play or participating in day-to-day activities

Integrated Stabilization Training (IST)

This phase of training is designed to create optimum levels of stabilization strength and postural control. Training in a multi-planar, proprioceptively enriched environment allows optimum recruitment of joint stabilizers. This establishes high levels of neuromuscular control and functional strength.

then you go to this:

PHASE FOUR:
Muscular Development Training (MDT)

This phase is OPTIONAL (bodybuilding / fitness body shaping) and is designed to increase the cross-sectional area of the muscle and alter body composition. High volume, body part specific training becomes the focus rather than proprioceptive, stabilization training.

these were taken from NASM. thats my next cert BTW. they have very well thought out progression, pretty cutting edge shit. you should check them out, if you are into breaking away from the norm or thinking outside of gym science (which i know you are), its a really good resource.

peace.

Big nate.
with the balance,NST and IST sections......do i add those suggestions to my existing work out........or do i drop my other exercises...like take away flat bench and replace with light swiss ball dumbell presses?

how long should each step last for?

Actually, although periodization has been used and "perfected" for quite some time, it's actually never been proven to be superior for muscle growth than a non-periodized routine. I challenge anybody to find hard-core third party evidence on this.

However, in terms of preventing overtraining (light phases of the mesocycles are generally good for recovery), and reducing mental fatigue (trying to increase your lifts every week can become quite stressful, as can constant heavy training to failure), periodization is quite a good idea.

The training benefits are more apparent in sport-specific athletes, who are attempting to achieve more than just raw size. The fact that they can focus on certain aspects of their sport/training from cycle to cycle makes it a valuable tool for coaches and any sort of cross-training athlete.

Nate, I believe that's sport-specific periodization not bodybuilding or strength training periodization...

But, good info.

it is probably more useful for sports specific or sports requiring multiplanar movement specifically, but as with anything its a new stimulus to the body that the body has to adapt to. since strength athletes ARE athletes as well, im sure it has its merits. its good to think out of the box sometimes.

Top Bottom