Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sengoku II Fights

holden636

What did you guys think of the Sengoku II fights? I have some of the videos up on my site:

Josh Barnett vs. Jeff Monson
Roger Gracie vs. Yuki Kondo

I thought the Roger Gracie fight was the classic Gracie formula: takedown, pass guard, mount, submit. It was cool watching Roger's top control. The Barnett/Monson fight was pretty good. It sort of reminded me why I don't care for heavyweight fights. But overall, good card.

If you guys want me to post links to the rest of the videos, let me know.

Please, post more of the fights. Gracie looked good wiping the floor with Yuki Kondo. Kondo is a former pancrase champion and not a bum.

I just saw the Randleman fight. I don't know what Sengoku's judging criteria is, but I cannot see how Randleman won. He did no damage except for a punch in the first round. His takedowns were often stuffed and when successful led to nothing. He almost got knee barred once and kimuraed twice. Kawamura started lighting Randleman up during the standup in the final round while Randleman stood gasping for air.

Last edited:
holden636 said:
Has Randleman ever NOT gassed in a fight?

I can't recall a fight offhand where I've seen Randleman gas other than at Sengoku 2. Randleman is so perplexing. He's incredibly strong and fast, has lightning quick reflexes, good stamina, and good mobility and flexibility, yet cannot produce at the top level. He even throws a solid punch. It looks like every fight for him is a college wrestling match though. If you give him your back, he prefers to take the energy to turn you or lift you. He tries to work the sidemount sometimes, but has little in the way of submission skills. Put him on his back and he is done. No guard, no defense to submission, yet the physical talent for greatness is there.

Jacob Creutzfeldt said:
I can't recall a fight offhand where I've seen Randleman gas other than at Sengoku 2. Randleman is so perplexing. He's incredibly strong and fast, has lightning quick reflexes, good stamina, and good mobility and flexibility, yet cannot produce at the top level. He even throws a solid punch. It looks like every fight for him is a college wrestling match though. If you give him your back, he prefers to take the energy to turn you or lift you. He tries to work the sidemount sometimes, but has little in the way of submission skills. Put him on his back and he is done. No guard, no defense to submission, yet the physical talent for greatness is there.

You are 100% correct. Randleman is one of the most explosive fighters in MMA and his athletic ability is apparent. However, you hit the nail on the head - absolutely no submission game. He does not appear to have ever been willing to put on the gi and learn any technical skills. He explosiveness has gotten him by and he thinks his strong wrestling is enough. He is one of those fighters stuck in the UFC 40's - relies on the ground-n-pound (e.g., Tito Ortiz, Phil Baroni, Mark Coleman).

Top Bottom