Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Self defense?

out of he box?

A few years ago, i think it was in blackbelt magazine, one of the writers for that magazine was in a street fight or bar fight.. some kinda fight... lol

anyway the guy kicked his ass.... and it turned out the guy was a noob muay thai boxer. so I feel the same as the writer, that you could learn useful techniques in a short period of time with muay thai.

Im an aikidoka , or aikido student, for the past twenty years. this discipline is truly a discipline.. haha... its not something you go to the dojo a few times a week and learn as a form of self defense.... it takes a very long time to develop proper technique ... sometimes a few years.

out of he box?

A few years ago, i think it was in blackbelt magazine, one of the writers for that magazine was in a street fight or bar fight.. some kinda fight... lol

anyway the guy kicked his ass.... and it turned out the guy was a noob muay thai boxer. so I feel the same as the writer, that you could learn useful techniques in a short period of time with muay thai.

Im an aikidoka , or aikido student, for the past twenty years. this discipline is truly a discipline.. haha... its not something you go to the dojo a few times a week and learn as a form of self defense.... it takes a very long time to develop proper technique ... sometimes a few years.

i agree with Muay Thai being one of the best for these purposes. ANY kind of sparing will help you freak out less in a self defense situation. All the moves are great but until you put them into practical applications (sparing), they will be useless.

Simplest and most effective... boxing.

You will learn more in 6 weeks boxing training than any other martial art.

You will learn more in 6 months of boxing training that you can use and apply than any other martial art.

After a year in boxing, you could even actually be half way decent. Not great... but you would absolutely use and abuse anyone who doesn't train regularly or fight often.

You can't say that about any other martial art... bjj, judo, muay thai, karate, etc... all have a higher learning curve than boxing.

And, no matter how long you study different martial arts styles... in the end everybody comes back to boxing because for stand up it is the simplest and most directly effective fighting style there is.

Lots of people will chant the mantra "all fights go to the ground." I haven't had anyone take me to the ground yet in a street fight... and the guys at my club who have done it have a black belt in bjj or judo. Everybody who fights today trains stand up and ground... and we always tell kids to train stand up first. It's much more valuable to get striking down before you even think of trying to get a ground game. It's like learning to ride a bike before you get a car.

Simplest and most effective... boxing.

You will learn more in 6 weeks boxing training than any other martial art.

You will learn more in 6 months of boxing training that you can use and apply than any other martial art.

After a year in boxing, you could even actually be half way decent. Not great... but you would absolutely use and abuse anyone who doesn't train regularly or fight often.

You can't say that about any other martial art... bjj, judo, muay thai, karate, etc... all have a higher learning curve than boxing.

And, no matter how long you study different martial arts styles... in the end everybody comes back to boxing because for stand up it is the simplest and most directly effective fighting style there is.

Lots of people will chant the mantra "all fights go to the ground." I haven't had anyone take me to the ground yet in a street fight... and the guys at my club who have done it have a black belt in bjj or judo. Everybody who fights today trains stand up and ground... and we always tell kids to train stand up first. It's much more valuable to get striking down before you even think of trying to get a ground game. It's like learning to ride a bike before you get a car.

Uhmmm.. I'll politely disagree on some of your points..

While it is true that boxing can be effective standing up, so can Mauy thai. WHich imho is way better. Both can be learned half ass in a short amount of time as well.. That being said; anything worth wile takes time to learn effectively... Now if you're just looking to kick ppls asses then whatever, but in terms of "self defense" especially for smaller ppl and woman, some form of BJJ is needed. Sure it takes time to learn, but ppl should make defending themselves a priority. Just learning a stand up art for defense doesn't make alot o sense unless you can convince your attacker to rape you standing up! :)

Now in fairness I am a Jits coach at an mma gym so my view is some what tainted.

Blessings,

I was in kenpo karate for 20 years and it was great art. Pretty easy to learn and quite effective.
The place I was trained also taught boxing, kick bocking, Tai fighting and Muay Thai fighting.
What you want to do is find a school and research it. Also don't pick one standardized art. Learn multiple. Like the master Bruce Lee once said.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Good luck on your search for a art and school.

Top Bottom