Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sarge's Lifting Chronicles 2006-2007

Re: Sarge hits the 5x5 for Ginormous Soleus Muscles!! - Log

:wavey: Dropping by to say "good evening" ;)

sgtslaughter said:
It seems as though you've "won" already just after typing because as said before I just ended a long day and i'm going to bed, lol... no wednesday workout, tomorrow... remember? Thurs & Sat then back to Monday if feelin' tip top... if not i'll keep rollin' with T-T-S workouts :)
lol, at this point I equate front/light squatting with Wednesday to such an extent that I completely neglected your schedule change. The offer (it's not a bet...if your legs feel good the only thing I get is the satisfaction of being right :p) still stands for your Thursday workout, then. I think you'll be quite surprised and happy by what your legs can handle with the volume spread out over three days.

Cynical Simian said:
lol, at this point I equate front/light squatting with Wednesday to such an extent that I completely neglected your schedule change. The offer (it's not a bet...if your legs feel good the only thing I get is the satisfaction of being right :p) still stands for your Thursday workout, then. I think you'll be quite surprised and happy by what your legs can handle with the volume spread out over three days.
I am not doubting you by any means. I readily subscribe to the thought of more frequent training (ESPECIALLY regarding legs) will yield a much better recovery time when conditioned.

I hope you're right too :)

I think I should have gotten some light active recovery in yesterday though. They are a bit sore today but not of the same intenseness as yesterday's soreness.

CS:

wait, wait... Front squats you say? Is that standard??

I have nothing against them, infact I enjoy them... but I don't think i've ever tried more than a couple sets, lol.

Also...

Since squats are light... would it be good practice to do Deads, PP's, THEN squats... in that order?... from most taxing to least..

Thoughts on that?

No, fronts are just a common substitute for light back squats on Wednesdays, especially if you're doing the Oly lifts elsewhere in the program. Everyone seems to find that they're a bit more taxing than light back squats, which means you might have a bit less left for deads.

To be honest, I've never done front squats for an extended period. I started doing them at the beginning of my last 5x5-style ('twas a 3x8) program but didn't get comfortable with the form, which in turn caused some weird positions at the bottom and knee pain. My back squat stance is pretty narrow and I get plenty of quad work from them and deads, so I decided not to risk an injury and just went back to back squats. With some wrist flexibility work and my newly arrived Oly shoes I'll probably be giving fronts a try again at some point, but I'm rambling/hijacking... Basically, they're not essential and probably not something you should worry about incorporating on a first run of the program.

As for the order, the ~80% squats are a good full-body warmup that shouldn't leave you too drained for deads/OHP. Some people have swapped the order of OHP and deads (the two PR lifts for the day), but I've never seen deads first.

Thanks CS, excellent reply... just what I was looking for :) Thanks bor.

al420 said:
WOW.

I ran into my wife and tried to explain it to her...... she wanted to know why I was "looking up drinking games on the internet?"
:lmao: ... I can imagine.

:wavey: Good afternoon there Sarge!!!

And how is the weather up in the NOrtheast today???
I'm sure not 100's like here :redhot:

Top Bottom