Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

running and making legs smaller

110%

its seems like since i started cardio back up 3 -4 X a week for cutting my legs have shrunken a little, anybody else this happen to from the running so often seem to hurt the success buliding your legs?

ide like that! i dont want big legs, but i think since ive started doing HIIt cardio training my legs r getting bigger.
what kind of cardio are u doing? for how long?

If you ever look at runners who run in marathons, most of them have small legs. It's different for sprinters, they usually have big legs, because it take more energy/strenght to reach acceleratation for a short distance.

Try sprint training instead of just running on a treadmill. Concentrate on going from point A to point B in a certain amount of time, instead of timing yourself for how long you run. This way your pusing your muscles to get you there faster, and not just whitteling away your leg muscles by jogging.:D

BeachBombHottie makes a good point...

have you ever noticed the difference in leg shape with a sprinter and a long distance runner?

cross country runners and the like have red fiber muscles which are smaller and less powerful. *considered slow muscle fiber*

i would imagine you want to look like a sprinter. they have white fiber muscles which are big and more powerful. *considered fast muscle fiber*

remember, performance correlates to the muscle fiber type that you want to target, therefore the "look" that you are going after.

personally, when i do cardio, i go to the track and run sprints. i am getting the desired look that i want as well as getting the needed cardio workout for my heart.

Wouldn't it be better to develop both types of muscle?

For cardio, I've started jogging and cycling at the gym. When it warms up a bit, I'll do sprint work in the park too.

yes, i think it is best to work all muscle types to reach optimum muscle strength. just wanted to point out the difference as far as "looks" and trying not to loose size.

for example, i do everything i can to put on mass, that one of the reasons why i try to do sprints for my cardio.

so for leaner leg muscle long distance is better? would long distance walking create the same effect..i want less bulky legs

I disagree with the idea of training both types of muscle fibers. Fast-twitch fibers have the greatest potential for size and strength, so why wouldn't you want all of your fibers to be fast-twitch?

Whenever you do cardio, or long distance running, etc., you are converting fast-twitch fibers to slow-twitch. That's why you will rarely see a powerlifter doing any sort of cardio. IMO, for both the powerlifter and bodybuilder, the best way to go for fat loss without sacrificing the fast-twitch fibers is to do high-intensity interval training.

but i dont want to ditch cardio, b/c it is giving me great results with cutting fat, aslo i want to get fit and stay fit, will it have a lot of effects on my leg size or should i not really worry about it, as training makes the greatest effect?

Top Bottom