Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Running before or after Workouts

BeachBombHottie

Ok. I've tried running before working out like for 30 min. and it worked fine. Then I tried running after my workouts and I was too tired to do abs afterwards. Then I tried splitting the running up and running a little before and a little after the workout.

It seems like running before would be better because it takes 20 min before you start burning fat.

But which one is better for fat loss and maintaining muslce?

If your goals are to lose fat, then before would be better. Also, try some potassium pyruvate, it mimmicks the pyruvic acid your body produces when it starts burning fat for fuel. It basically tricks your body into burning fat earlier.
I say potassium, because it (pyruvate) has to be bonded to a salt. Obviously, sodium is not a good choice. Magnesium would be better, but potassium is something a bodybuilder needs the most, so if you can find it, that's good. I use NTI's.

I want to lose fat but also keep muscle because I'm toning up. I don't want to lose any muscle at all. But running after seems like it's going to make me lose muslce, whereas running before will just burn fat.

Fantom604 said:
If your goals are to lose fat, then before would be better. Also, try some potassium pyruvate, it mimmicks the pyruvic acid your body produces when it starts burning fat for fuel. It basically tricks your body into burning fat earlier.
I say potassium, because it (pyruvate) has to be bonded to a salt. Obviously, sodium is not a good choice. Magnesium would be better, but potassium is something a bodybuilder needs the most, so if you can find it, that's good. I use NTI's.

True Fantom if she's trying to lose fat then she should run before. Beachbombhottie is my g/f and she's already lean and she's wanting to tone up and get leaner and of course lose some fat. Wouldn't it be better to just run in the morning on an empty stomach and then JUST work out in the evenings. Now if she was chubby (which she's not) then then don't you agree running before. But if she's toning then running after wards? Oh and we both posted practically the same post at the same time. Here's mine.
http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110578
;)

"It seems like running before would be better because it takes 20 min before you start burning fat. "

That is the exact reason why cardio AFTER lifting is better. The reason it takes 20 min is because that is approx how long it takes for you body to switch from burning glycogen to fat. If you lift first your body will have depleted glycogen and will be left with fat as its primary stored energy source. Also, if you do cardio first you will not be left with enough energy to lift with enough intensity.

=w= said:
[BAlso, if you do cardio first you will not be left with enough energy to lift with enough intensity. [/B]

If you really want to minimize muscle loss, it probably makes sense to run on non-lift days, and make it a high-intensity run, such as a HIIT or fartleks. Then do your weight workouts separately.

When I do run and lift on the same day, I run first. I find it loosens me up so that I am more flexible for my weight workout, and contrary to what =w= said, I find it more intensive because you are already somewhat fatigued. You can reach a higher intensity with a lower weight than if you had not run.

Top Bottom