Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ronnie Coleman's poor form

JoNeS

I've seen both of his training videos and in each of them he does most of his lifts with a very limited range of motion. Example: during shoulder shrugs he moves his shoulders up about 1/2". During millitary presses and side raises, he doesn't even come close to locking out at the top. Same with bench presses.

However he gets real deep with his squats and other leg exercises. He obviosly has to be doing something right because he is the #1 guy. I thought maybe he was doing the partial reps, to force his muscles to grow. (Like an advanced technique so he could pass a plateu) Or maybe because he is so large he just doesn't have the full range of motion others do. Or maybe because he is jacked up on so much damn gear, it really doesn't matter how far his range of motion is.

I dunno what do you guys think?

His form is half-assed, same with every other single pro i've seen, except Dorian.

But I belief form is vastly overated.

parkerjones said:
I've seen both of his training videos and in each of them he does most of his lifts with a very limited range of motion. Example: during shoulder shrugs he moves his shoulders up about 1/2". During millitary presses and side raises, he doesn't even come close to locking out at the top. Same with bench presses.

However he gets real deep with his squats and other leg exercises. He obviosly has to be doing something right because he is the #1 guy. I thought maybe he was doing the partial reps, to force his muscles to grow. (Like an advanced technique so he could pass a plateu) Or maybe because he is so large he just doesn't have the full range of motion others do. Or maybe because he is jacked up on so much damn gear, it really doesn't matter how far his range of motion is.

I dunno what do you guys think?

I think it's a combination of all the above.

Don't forget though, that by locking out during an exercise, you are actually maing it a little easier by releasing some tension off the muscles. By not locking out, you are not transferring any of the weight to the joints therefore the muscles bare all the weight for the entire exercise.

And obviously with that much juice in your system doing reps with a broomstick will add muscle.

vinylgroover said:
I think it's a combination of all the above.

Don't forget though, that by locking out during an exercise, you are actually maing it a little easier by releasing some tension off the muscles. By not locking out, you are not transferring any of the weight to the joints therefore the muscles bare all the weight for the entire exercise.

And obviously with that much juice in your system doing reps with a broomstick will add muscle.
I agree with Vinylgroover on the fact that locking out releases tension on the muscles and transfer them to the joints. ALOT of the current & older pros do them the same way. As far back as, "Pumping Iron" you see the pros training doing 3/4 reps and not locking out. Obviously, it works for them.

I can understand not locking out on military press to keep constant stress on the delts and not use the tris as much....same with bench and pecs..

I have not seen either of his videos in full....but I think he is doing bent over rows in one of them...I wonder what his form is like? That exercise is extremely hard to maintain form on anyway

Lets get one thing straight, yes pro's use gear, but if you think you know how much gear coleman, cutler or anyone else uses your kidding yourself..Pro's are like everyone on this board ull find those that run crazy amounts of shit and those that use less than some people here!! Im waiting for the second dvd to arrive but i have his first video..i dont really see what your talking about..squats are deep, deads are fine, BB rows he gets a full ROM.. there is constant tension on the lateral delt heads the whole time..

Ronnie uses constant tension on everything except deads from what i have seen. In fact a lot of pros appear to favour this technique. The difference is the muscle simply does not rest for the duration of the set. Weight and reps will be compromised initially.

Are you are considering a full lockout on barbell bench being arms completely locked? If so, there is a reason he doesnt fully lockout. When you do a complete lockout, you shift a lot of the weight to your bones, which isnt exactly the best, i.e. like "numani" says he is keeping the weight on his muscles. My assumption is that is why he isnt locking out. NOTE: i havent seen the video. I rarely do complete lockouts for this reason.

wnt2bBeast said:
Lets get one thing straight, yes pro's use gear, but if you think you know how much gear coleman, cutler or anyone else uses your kidding yourself..Pro's are like everyone on this board ull find those that run crazy amounts of shit and those that use less than some people here!! Im waiting for the second dvd to arrive but i have his first video..i dont really see what your talking about..squats are deep, deads are fine, BB rows he gets a full ROM.. there is constant tension on the lateral delt heads the whole time..

AGREED!! :)

Top Bottom