Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rock climbing and working out

mgibson1000

How can I incorporate rock climbing in with my weekly routine? I have recently started rock climbing and have really enjoyed it. My upper body is sore the next day. I want to keep doing upper body through out the week, however I need to change my schedule. How do I do that?

It all depends on how you are training. While most guys think that climbing is about muscular strength, it's almost ALL about muscular endurance.

I actually found when I was training for size, my quality and endurance on the rock suffered greatly; when I changed up my training (high rep, lower weight), things changed a LOT at the wall.

If you take a look at world class climbers, they're not big guys. But they have incredible endurance and lactate threshold.

Now, can a guy still climb and train like a body builder? Sure. Train as you would, but throw in a weekly session at your local rock gym to mix it up. As you get conditioned to climbing, the soreness will fade (This kind of DOMS is almost 100% due to lactic acid). I'd space any back/shoulder/arm workouts at least two days before and after a session at the wall.

Hope this helps! :coffee:

Last edited:
mgibson1000 said:
How can I incorporate rock climbing in with my weekly routine? I have recently started rock climbing and have really enjoyed it. My upper body is sore the next day. I want to keep doing upper body through out the week, however I need to change my schedule. How do I do that?

I have competed as a rock climber, and train on a five day split. It's best to climb at the beginning of the week. (I do it on Tuesdays, which are also my leg days.) Mondays is chest and triceps.

It's also important to know what your goals are as far as climbing is concerned. Are you there jus to get a good work out? Or are you also there for the challenge? If you are only there to work on muscular endurance, I would suggest "climbing laps". This is where you get on a problem that you know you can flash (climb to the top without falling), and repeat three or four times in a row.

I climb 5.11 comfortably, so when I'm doing laps I'll start on a 10a or b, do three or four, and then get on a 9 and go until I hit muscle failure.
If I'm there working a problem or bouldering, I do that first and then do laps.

Then I take the next day off, to let the lactic acid level out, and then do biceps and shoulders the next day... and then back and abs the day after that.

I also do cardio 6 days a week at varying intervals and intensity.

I hope this helps. How do you train for body building?

we have a rock gym just down the street. I guess its pretty reasonable too. never been....afraid it would kill me endurancewise. LOL.

Top Bottom