Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rippetoes - Front Squat? - On a cut?

TheManiacHolder

I workout at home, have bought all the equipment [oly bars, bench, db's etc]

However, rippetoes requires I do back squats. Can I do front squats instead, as I don't own a squat rack?

Also, can I do rippetoes whilst cutting on a 500 cal deficit?

Thanks

When you say rippetoes am I correct in assuming you mean his starting strength program? If so I would say you could modify it any way you want BUT while the front squat and back squat are both squats they do work some different muscles and the back squat allows you to work with more weight which triggers more or a hormonal growth response. My personal recommendation would be to spend the money on squat stands.

As for cutting and doing SS a lot of that will depend on what other work your doing and how your eating now.

If your not doing any kind of metcon stuff and just doing SS and have say >15% bf now you should do fine because you have fat stores for the body to tap into for energy. If your lower BF you may have to add some calories. If your doing SS and adding any sort of high intensity metcon work then you really should figure out where you need to be calorie wise before you add the SS. Any way you cut it if you go too low on cals you are going to give up strength gains.

Thanks guys

I'm going to stick with front squats, and save up for a squat rack.

I am 192lbs and 28% bodyfat, going to go on a 500 cal deficit and do cardio 5x a week, Eating less than 120g carbs, 60g fats and like 160-180g protein.

As I'm cutting, should I not try to add extra weight to my lifts every week? Or should I try?

Also, will I still get decent results substituting back squats for front squats?

Thanks

if you enjoy them, front squats are fine... and at your bodyfat and only a 500kc deficit, unless you have been strength training for years and have gained substantial strength already, then you should still be able to get stronger...
on the diet... that is not enough protein... the very MINIMUM is 1x your own bodyweight... if you are set on your calorie intake, then you should swap out some carbs or even a little fat and aim more towards 1.5-2x bw...

I workout at home, have bought all the equipment [oly bars, bench, db's etc]

However, rippetoes requires I do back squats. Can I do front squats instead, as I don't own a squat rack?

Also, can I do rippetoes whilst cutting on a 500 cal deficit?

Thanks

yea imo u can do front squats. Like the above person said they are not as good at releasing GH response as back squats but they are still good and you can add a good amount of weight. You can still progress on them, which is the key in the 5x5. progression

Yes you can do the 5x5 on a 500 calorie deficit as well you might stall earlier but you can still make strength gains. You just cant expect to gain muscle since you are in a deficit.

Good luck brotha!

My first squat rack was a pair of 55 gallon steel drums. Worked well enough for me and everyone that trained with me.

Top Bottom