Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Reserach I have dug up on cardio/fasted state

Lifterforlife

Many of you on this board know I am not a fan of fasted state cardio. Here is some research that I hope will be read...seems to back me up pretty hard. :)

Further supporting the evidence in favor of fed cardio in trained men, Febbraio’s team investigated the effects of carb ingestion pre & during training in easily one of the best-designed trials on this topic. Subjects exercised for 2 hrs at an intensity level of 63% VO2 max, which is now known as the point of maximal fat oxidation during exercise. Result? Pre & during-training carbs increased performance - and there was no difference in total fat oxidation between the fasted and fed subjects. Despite the elevated insulin levels in the carb-fueled groups, there was no difference in fat availability or fat utilization.

Summing up the research findings

• At low intensities (25-50% VO2 max), carbs during exercise reduce fat oxidation compared to fasted trainees.
• At moderate intensities (63-68% VO2 max) carbs during exercise may reduce fat oxidation in untrained subjects, but do not reduce fat oxidation in trained subjects for at least the first 80-120 minutes of exercise.
Carbohydrate during exercise spares liver glycogen, which is among the most critical factors for anticatabolism during hypocaloric & other conditions of metabolic stress. This protective hepatic effect is absent in fasted cardio.
At the established intensity level of peak fat oxidation (~63% VO2 max), carbohydrate increases performance without any suppression of fat oxidation in trained subjects.

sgtslaughter said:
WOOHOO!

I don't have a choice anyway... i'm a night lifting and cardio person.

Nice post... there's always an arguement for every side.

Same here. My workouts start at 11:30 at night so no morning cardio for me. Good article lifter. :)

Yeah, for my last contest, I did all of my cardio at midnight after work stopping at the gym(24 hr. fitness).

I achieved 5% bodyfat and placed second in class. I ate when I got home(1/2 hr. drive whatever I felt I was deficient in).

I've been curious to see pics from some of your contest shape...

would you mind posting a few?

I think it's awesome that you competed natty and quite a number of times dropping to that low of bf % !

Well, will have to wait a bit....this is a new computer, not much on it. I have tons of pics, but problem being is they are packed away. We have about 15 boxes stacked in our living room....we are moving from the midwest to Colorado very soon. (can't wait, always wanted to live out there)

My wife would kill me if I started digging through things for some pictures.

I am thinking I have some up on photo bucket...been a long time since I have been on there, see if it is the case. If so, you can view some there.

Natural Northern USA had some contest pics up when I competed in it, don't know if they still are.

There are some up on photobucket...a couple with my wife, one with my friend, a few contest pics...the ones at the end are actually taken outside in between shows(pre judging and evening show). They really didn't do justice to physique at the time, but oh well...

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/bb1fit/

Last edited:
Thanks bunny.....not too bad for an "old man". 54 yrs. old by the way! :)

Those outside pics are actually pretty crappy. We had just bought a brand new digital, and I don't believe settings or something were good. Took tons of definition away.

All that hard work... ;(

Top Bottom