Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Reps and sets question

Ckia

I see different opinions all the time about thenumber of reps you got to do and the rest time that is to be takenbetween sets. Is there any explannation to that, or not? How bigshould the rest and ho w many reps are ideal?

I would not go for precise times in between sets, and would just try to keep them concise. I think that those precise seconds and minutes are given to newbies, who do not feel yet what is the right rest time between sets.

Actually guys there's a WHOLE bunch of science on this.

I train for strength and so my rest between sets is longer than a bodybuilders. Typically between 2and 5 mins.

Bodybuilders want to have their sets around 60-90 seconds (av of 75) with an ideal of about 1 minute / 60-seconds rest.

Endurance types differ again.

Regarding sets and reps it's:

Power / strength 5-8 reps
Bodybuilding 8-12 reps (a little more for legs)
Endurance 12-15+

Obviously there are individual variations and preferences. Lev is correct in that those with experience will have an idea as to whether or not the individual is ready to go again. My pace today was reasonable and the whole thing took me about 1hr15mins. But I can do 2hrs easy by chatting. If I time it perfectly my sets work out sweet.

Thank you all for explaining. Now that I know that it has science behind it, I will stick to those reps. Thanks.

I train more for bodybuilding and try to rest around 60 seconds between sets. I will do typically 3-4 sets for most exercises at 8-12 reps per set. I use an app while I train so as soon as I punch in my reps it starts a clock for my rest. That way I can just chill and when I hear the alarm I know its time for my next set.

Top Bottom