Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A reply about a mass program from another board.

Tryn2

dont want to step on any toes but check this out. It was a reply to traing at another board. I have been using it and it seems to be working. But Im also "ON" right now and they may be helping growth anyhow. I usually do like a 4 day routine. With arms or shoulders added as the 4th. I also usually do 3 sets of 6-8 reps for every excersise. Ok let me know bros....I might add the gentleman who wrote this knows his shit and is acredited with national and world level powerlifting records. He critiques many lifters to better their routines....I just wanted a 2nd opinion...
" Here’s a generic routine that is a good starting point. This is a mass building routine. Probably less volume than you are used too but very effective. Three days per week because that’s all most folks can handle if they are training heavy. They key is forced/assisted reps. Painful but very effective if you really want to put on size. This does not include warm ups so that is up to you to make sure you are stretched and plenty warm before performing work sets. A work set is defined as a set that you just barely get all reps or need assistance on one or two reps. If you get all the reps fairly easily then it is a warm up and not a work set. Add abs and cardio on the days off to fit your needs. Limit cardio to 3 times week for 30 – 45 minutes of low impact as intense cardio burns muscle.

Monday:
Squats 2 x 5
Box squats 2 x 4
Leg presses 2 x 5
Calves (your choice of exercise) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6
Decline medium grip bench 2 x 6
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Upright rows 2 x 5

Thursday:
Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5
Bent over rows 2 x 4
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 6
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 6

Every one of these movements is a mass building exercise. These are the essential movements for putting on size. Rest and nutrition are just as important as lifting, neglect any one of the three and you will not grow. Juice or no juice all will grow with this routine or a similar one. Consistency is the key. Adding 5 lbs to the bar every other week equals 130lbs/year. Not bad considering many are moving the same weight year in year out. Strength gains are the key to growth, not other way around.

I hope this helpful to all who read it. I have designed many programs for a variety of athletes with varying needs. If you have special needs such as martial arts, football or gymnastics (to name a few) the program can be altered to accommodate these needs.

these exercises are not etched in stone so if you get better esults with a different back movement for example then sub it in. do not sub for the three core movments, squats, deads and flat bench (unless you have shoulder probs, then an alternative for flat bench will work)

now if you are one of those fortuante few who can sustain high volume and still make gains then we can add a day to the routine. if this is too much volume then a 2 day split works very well. and there are some who do very well on a 2 per week training routine. "

I would never grow from that routine. 2 sets for me is not enough especially w/ a 6 rep scheme. Yes, " ON " could lead to growth. I am not " ON " so in my case volume is simply not there.

The "ON" has to be helping you grow. I wouldnt stand a chance to grow with this routine, it would be more likely that my numbers would drop.

I agree, too low volume for just 1bp/week

Mentzer .... the man is dead, yet his "ideas" continue to sway the public. Don't know if I hate him, or if I hate him even more.

I'm getting really annoyed by everyone who keeps saying "I wouldn't grow" blah blah blah...

So you're telling me that if you put 100-300+ lbs strength increases on all of these lifts, that you wouldn't gain size? Bullshit. How do you think muscles grow, anyway?

I agree that with that kind of volume, you could probably utilize a higher frequency, but to say that you "wouldn't grow" is ridiculous.

Debaser said:
I'm getting really annoyed by everyone who keeps saying "I wouldn't grow" blah blah blah...

So you're telling me that if you put 100-300+ lbs strength increases on all of these lifts, that you wouldn't gain size? Bullshit. How do you think muscles grow, anyway?

I agree that with that kind of volume, you could probably utilize a higher frequency, but to say that you "wouldn't grow" is ridiculous.

Im sure I wouldnt grow on such a routine. I doubt Id even increase my strength. When I went from 405 to 510 on my deadlifts in 14 months, I still didnt grow. I got some thickness in my waist, but thats about it. Ive definately seen myself get stronger without any measurable growth. If I was on juice, depending on the amount, Im sure I could grow from much less, but Id have to be on alot to grow on that routine. This is only my personal experience.

far too many trainees take those 5-6 reps and work really hard on the concentric, but neglect the negative. there is where your damage comes in. take a set of 6 at a 4/2/0 tempo and tell me it isnt tough enough. the reason alot of people think its "not enough" is because they rip through a set too fast. keep in mind these may not include warmup sets etc. also. far too many variables to say "it wont work".

IMO, too many bodybuilders train like endurance athletes as it is. set after set of "burn and pump". the big fibers....dont last that long so hit em hard while they are fresh.

Debaser said:

:chomp:

Bump for more opnions, I just want to remind everyone this guy is a national and world record holder in powerlifting. It seems many people powerlift for size then bodybuild once they have a good base. I just want to see if anyone trains like this ?

you have to remember tryn2, these sets are not the typical sets you see guys in the gym doing, they are all out lose your lunch when you are done sets. Warm ups are not included, i have started doing something similare to this. Also this program was just a guideline to be tweaked where you see fit. When i deadlift i might do 5 sets before i start counting, and my first workset might be 500+. Too many guys start in the gym doing 5 day a week splits before they have any base and never get anywhere.

Top Bottom