Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

replace sprinting w/ high rep full-body lifts for maximum fat loss

arjuna

I've been trying to psych myself to do intervals for burning fat, but I have some lame-ass mental block. In the meantime, I was hoping to substitute high-rep, low weight, full-body lifts (clean & jerk, etc). Now, I'm no powerlifter and just started doing these things, so, with just 115 on the bar, I can crank out ten fast reps. If I did 11 reps, my heart would pop out of my chest (a la Alien) and scurry away. 115 lbs? Please stop laughing at me. :bawling:

Could I do these instead of doing interval sprints? Like, thirty seconds with just the bar (I'll go when the gym's empty), rest 30, the bar again, for 20 minutes. It would get my heart rate up, help on my form (beginner, remember), and I suppose be less jarring on my legs. But, will the high rep full-body lifts have drastically negative effects in other areas, besides the obvious potential for injury?

Will it actually be as effective as sprinting for fat loss? I suppose that's the most important issue.

Thanks.

You just need to get lots of lactic acid into the msucles to get the same growth hormone boosting effect of sprints. But off course you won't get the same caloric defecit of interval sprints.
There is no substitue. Why not start jogging intervals first and then speed up?

or try a rowing machine

4 words:

sprints on the versaclimber

not quite as suitable replacement as sprints (running) but overall body.......woooo!

Sprints are most definetly a full body workout. Ive also had to cut my ab work way back because running sprints makes my abs sore as hell.

Yeap I found I had to start doing chin bar ab stretches - (arch your back and head) after i started doing sprints to improve their flexibility and ease the pain :)

My biceps get sore too from sprints.

I hear someone yelling: do sprints!

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice. It appears that the resounding consensus is: do sprints. Well, let me set my alarm for 30 minutes earlier, disconnect the snooze button, and get my ass in gear. Along with the advice, the mental boost I've received from this thread is really valuable and for that, I'm grateful.

Top Bottom