Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Rapid Ascent Program . . . a Short & Sweet Beginner Program!

Protobuilder

Here's an excellent little workout that would work great for beginners and probably for some intermediates as well. Heck, tinker with it a bit and it'd work well for anyone. It comes from Dan John's pdf, which is excellent if you haven't read it. http://www.danjohn.org/bp.pdf

The program is short and sweet and hits the big stuff that matters. It's similar to other effective beginner programs (5x5 anyone? LoL) but the rep range is a bit different. It's got a built-in idiot-proof scheme for progression (18 reps, then add weight), and is a no-nonsense program. Throw in some ab work, maybe back squat one or two days instead of fronts and you've got one helluva' good little program, IMO!

The "Rapid Ascent" Program
Three Days a Week:
Power Clean
· 8-6-4 reps
Military Press
· 8-6-4 reps
Front Squat
· 8-6-4 reps
Increase weight when you get all the reps!

Other "musts:"
Begin each morning with a good breakfast including protein.
Try to eat five to nine servings of fruit and vegetables a day.
Sleep for more than eight hours a day (Eight hours and one minute is more!)
Wear your seatbelt.
Don't smoke.
Drink water as your major beverage.

C'mon now you bunch of bastards! Somebody's gotta' have something to say here. LoL Am I the only one who thinks this is one hell of an elegant little workout that'd work for most? It's better than 99% of the crap in magazines and would work for 99% of the lifters out there, IMO.

I guess there's just too much ADD out there to get people interested in a solid little 3-4 movement program w/ a logical (read, boring) plan for progession. LoL

While it's better than getting something out of Flex as a first program, I'd recommend the Rippetoe program to a beginner rather than this one without hesitation.

This is for beginners? I'd rather deadlifts, traditional squats, military press and bench... these are the basic compound movements that beginners need to focus on.

Cynical Simian said:
While it's better than getting something out of Flex as a first program, I'd recommend the Rippetoe program to a beginner rather than this one without hesitation.

seconded..

Yup. When you get all 18 reps, you add weight next time 'round.

I didn't quote the entire thing from Dan, but when he discussed this program, he stated that it wasn't the perfect program or anything. He said it's a darn good program, simple and better than most. Just didn't want people thinking this was the best he could come up with. LoL It was the program that his old coach used, I believe.

I could see how it'd be "better" for a total noob to do deads rather than cleans, assuming they don't have a coach teaching them the lifts. But I think if you just hammered away at cleans, OHP, and front squats, you could build a solid foundation.

Protobuilder said:
Yup. When you get all 18 reps, you add weight next time 'round.

I didn't quote the entire thing from Dan, but when he discussed this program, he stated that it wasn't the perfect program or anything. He said it's a darn good program, simple and better than most. Just didn't want people thinking this was the best he could come up with. LoL It was the program that his old coach used, I believe.

I could see how it'd be "better" for a total noob to do deads rather than cleans, assuming they don't have a coach teaching them the lifts. But I think if you just hammered away at cleans, OHP, and front squats, you could build a solid foundation.

The only problem is that 99.9% of the people would want to add bench press in there.

Top Bottom