Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rack (pull) vs floor DL

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Floor deads utilize more of the quads and glutes and rack DL emphasize the back ?

i may be mistaken, but i believe rack DLs are to get past the common sticking point of DLs by strengthening the lower back.

There are a lot of uses but one thing that is important to keep in mind is that progress in the full range movement tends to translate very well into the partial but not the other way around. As for the emphasis, it really depends on your position starting position and the range you are working through. That said, there are so many muscles involved in the fundemental pulling movement that even just the lockout portion is going to activate the entire posterior chain from the neck/traps through the back and into the glutes and hamstrings (I'd imagine into the calves too and certainly the arms and shoulders to a degree). One of the benefits of working hard and progressing on fundemental movements is that they drive full body growth and progress in your other lifts.

Anthrax said:
Floor deads utilize more of the quads and glutes and rack DL emphasize the back ?

agree...I pull from both to develop strength and stability in both ranges. its pretty easy to overtrain your lower back on rack deads since you can lift heavier poundages than off the floor.

i do both, prolly do more lower back than i should, but thas jus how my routine works.

Check my training journal......We try and fry our lower backs. I used to have back problems all the time when I was a bodybuilder because I didn't work it enough and make it stronger. I have not had one back problem since I began powerlifting.

A reason that it's hard to transmute the effects of rack pulls to the dead is the setup is not the same. When setting up for rackpulls we usually set up in a better leverage position than when we pull from the floor. A lot of powerlifters do reverse band deads to try and simulate the starting position.

i've never tried rev. band DL's, it think it would be fun as hell! i love bands on flat bench and have done some squats with bands too. I'm weak off the floor with deads so it would be fun to work some speed from there, and my lockout is fast so that would definitely slow me down.

ahhhh...accomodating resistance!

the place i train at is archaic, the guy who owns it would laff at me if i were to ask about additional training sources such as bands and chains, fuck they don't even oil shit there.

Usually a gym owner won't buy chains and bands....that's why we bring them in ourselves. Goto www.jump-stretch.com for bands. You can also find them a bit cheaper at Mike Miller's site www.nazbar.com. They each have package deals.

Nate, you will love reverse band deads.....it's cool because you can use a lot of weight and it's fun as hell. You can do Reverse Band Press too. It's pretty much simulates what it's like to use a bench shirt. I believe Louis calls this the "Lighten Method" because it really doesn't make it harder, but it does work on speed and allows proper form. If your explosive on your deads, you'll love this. Hang the heavy bands from the top of the power rack and allow 185 to kind of float. When you get halfway up the bands will let go and it will be all you. I need help on my upper back so this helps as does madcow's suggestion to do high pulls.

Top Bottom