Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

"Callousing" or overtraining

Redux

(I posted this over on the MA board yesterday, and still not a single response. ANY help is appreciated.)

I recently read Ken Shamrock's book, "Inside the Lion's Den", and in it he mentions that newer students at his school are made to do 1000 naked (no weight) squats a day, every day. That's right, sore as hell, and still working the same muscle. He referred to it as a process called "Callousing".

Now, I am not a professional fighter, and I really don't care much about Shamrock's fighting system, or how your own may be superior to it. What I am looking for is someone to back up, discredit or otherwise explain this thing called callousing.

Is this what military boot camp is? And where does "overtraining" enter into the equation?

My guess would be that since there is no real progressive resistance (since they're only squatting their bodyweight) that their muscles could stand much more volume before overtraining. Having taken martial arts, I would say that doing numerous squats (horse stances), push ups, punch and kick drills, etc. are all apart of conditioning. Without any progressive overload, you're just training the body to be more effective at doing those movements.

More scientific response anyone? Casual?

It sounds like it has something to do with working through pain for long periods of time, i cannot assume it has much benefit other that that. Being able to keep going and going through intense lactic acid build up. I don't know though, never heard that term.

Why he does it I can only guess, maybe he wants to build discipline, whatever.

From a science standpoint, it would probably do a lot to improve strength-endurance. So over time the muscle would become better at doing many reps with low rest instead of maximal weights for lower reps.

Sounds kind of sport-specific because fighting is more about sustained effort than momentary effort.

i dunno if it transfers but if you can do a fuckload of body weight squats, and keep it up, when the time comes to do one squat for a takedown, or ONE kick, wouldnt your leg an dmuscle be able to handle ALOT more power? or no

One good sidekick to the solaplexus doesn`t need all that much power to have a devastating effect.......

One good front kick to the groin doesn`t need much power to have a devastating effect.

When your dancing around a ring and throwing a godawful amount of kicks and punches being good at squatting 400 lbs for 5 reps ain`t gonna help you very much but being conditioned to do 1000 bw squats will.

Pump on ......

Top Bottom