Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A quick question about the 5x5 workouts

Medic6388

I have read the threads about the 5x5 workouts and it seems to be just what I have been looking for. I seem to have hit a plateau and I need to change things up a bit. The question that I have is that I am on a cutting phase right now. To get proper gains on this workout should I wait till I am eating more calories to promote growth or can I still get gains while on a cutting phase. Also it says for the people that have never done this type of workout before to lighten up your first week or two.. Who much should lighten it up? 10-20 % ? More than that or less than that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i dont know why you couldnt do it cutting
and i did two weeks of very light work before gettign into the first 4 weeks

You start light because most people who aren't used to this tend to start too high and aren't able to gradually ramp the weight upward to records in the final two weeks. You can go anywhere from 4-6 weeks in the volume phase. I'd start light enough in each of the lifts so that you can go through the workout fairly easily, that will give you a reference for the next week and allow you to start to play out the progression you need. I don't like to provide % because they vary with every lifter and so does the tolerable load. This is why it's a better to go by feel and then figure the relevant %s out on your own for the next cycle (the array of people using this range from very experienced to just past novice so it's just too varied). If I provided the entire workout by % every single person would follow it and 1/2 of them would be screwed while the other half might not get enough. I'd rather people just start light and monitor themselves rather than strictly adhering and getting into trouble.

EDIT: Oh yeah - it works fine in cutting. A lot of people find themselves still gaining muscle and strength provided they are not an the Auschwitz diet or some such starvation program.

Last edited:
Top Bottom