Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

question on resting?

wc115

It was my exam week so decided to rest for that week. My problem is that when i took the week off, all my maxes dropped. most noticeably the squat and bench press. my max for squat was 5 reps at 275 but after a week i was not able to do 225 for 3 reps.

i noticed that this was not just a bad day or anything because this happens a lot. (such as resting for more than 2-3 days...my max will drop)

my question would be...is this normal? and how should i fix this...if i can...thanks

Could be normal - there's a range of what happens after a short layoff. A few come back strong, others need to rebuild.

One thing that could help is to log your activities on your off days. Just because you're not in the gym doesn't mean you're not training. Keep your protein, carbs, and fats up. Make sure you get enough rest.

Some of it comes with experience. Squats coming off a few extra days were a lot easier after 7 years lifting as opposed to 2-3.

The main thing is try not to obsess on it. It doesn't sound like it's a serious problem, just a temporary setback. Since you already know it's going to happen, just roll with the punches and do the best you can.

Normal...

Training 101; Rest = Grow...

~EZ

It was my exam week so decided to rest for that week. My problem is that when i took the week off, all my maxes dropped. most noticeably the squat and bench press. my max for squat was 5 reps at 275 but after a week i was not able to do 225 for 3 reps.

i noticed that this was not just a bad day or anything because this happens a lot. (such as resting for more than 2-3 days...my max will drop)

my question would be...is this normal? and how should i fix this...if i can...thanks

Shannigans. Unless you starved yourself that entire week off there is no way your squat dropped from 275x5 to 225x3 in 7 days, its got to be mental.

You couldn't lose that much even if you tried.

Shannigans. Unless you starved yourself that entire week off there is no way your squat dropped from 275x5 to 225x3 in 7 days, its got to be mental.

That's what I was thinking. As long as your diet stayed the same, there's no reason to lose THAT much strength, if any.

How many times a week are you squatting? And for how long have you been squatting? (Also, if its because your legs are sore, then try doing foam rolling and/or doing some dynamic warmups before your squat - though they are considered cardio, your legs will be loose and have the blood in them to pump out more)

I missed this....yeah, that doesn't seem right...

~EZ

thanks for the replies
i always stretch...so i guess i'll try to stretch more? or more emphasis on the legs.
for diet...i am sure i eat more when i'm not working out
it is definitely mental...just not sure how much...because i know my numbers are dropping...but before i workout i try to prep myself. i always tell myself i am supposed to be able to do more ...since almost everyone goes higher after resting.

the full week rest seems to drop my numbers a lot
during regular weeks...
from my observations my monday workouts drop as well but not as much (i can't go to the gym on the weekends)

i've been squatting for 3 years. i used to squat 4-5 times a week (but its like heavy/light/heavy/light/heavy) i noticed that if i don't do the light squatting my numbers drop.

right now i am squatting 2-3 times a week...it should not be because of soreness because i rested and i am not sore at all.

Top Bottom