Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question on repetition speed, acceleration and volume

stevius

Talking with my friends today they told me they like to do a massive amount of reps, quite slowly, not very often and get ripped and sore.

I wanted to explain the benefits of blasting out fewer reps and putting a lot of power into them such that the bar moves faster. The thing is I don't actually know what it means to work this way other than the fact that:

A- You'll be able to jump higher/ run faster etc.

B- Training with force and fewer reps means a short workout with a short recovery period to get back in the gym at 100 plus percent faster.

Does anyone know much about this?

soreness does not indicate progress, moving more weight does

Moving weight slowly, increases your strength only at that speed.

Force = Mass X acceleration. More speed means you generate more force.

Eat and lift more.

Ah, the voice of sanity! These guys I know are moving the weights deliberately slow as though they were lifting big weights.

For the record I love to push reps with more and more weight and fast. In fact I actually forgot Dan John's number 2 rule: Constantly strive to add weight to the bar and move it faster.

Also, ever since I cut down the workload I work harder at the rep range I set, feel less worn out, recover faster and left with feeling of wanting more.

Thanks for the assistance guys!

Whats' the science behind this?

The goal is to grow muscles and get stronger.

Apparently when you move the weight slowly, you increase the amount of time your muscles are under stress and increase the amount of damage you to do them (which is good, because that leads to more muscle recruitment).

Do any of you have anything to back up what you said empiracally?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that the understanding I lay out here is contrary to your assertions.

You state:

Synpax said:
The goal is to grow muscles and get stronger.

Apparently when you move the weight slowly, you increase the amount of time your muscles are under stress and increase the amount of damage you to do them (which is good, because that leads to more muscle recruitment).

Muscle growth will happen whether you move the weight slower or faster, no doubt. You use less weight when moving the weight slowly, since it increases the stress on the muscles, correct? Wouldn't moving the bar faster and stacking more weight on satisfy the "get stronger" part to a higher degree? To me, it just seems silly to make the weight harder than it really is.

Yes, what johnrobholmes said makes perfect sense. If you want to push bigger weights and push out more reps then you have to apply as much force to the bar as humanely possible. Heavy weight requires heavy concentration and that also means pushing like your life depends on it.

THese guys are talikng about TUT (time under tension). It is def a decent BB training method, tons of folks here that compete (mostly figure and one female BB) use TUT.

Personally I would rather chalk up and do some real damage.

al420 said:
THese guys are talikng about TUT (time under tension). It is def a decent BB training method, tons of folks here that compete (mostly figure and one female BB) use TUT.

Personally I would rather chalk up and do some real damage.

I always thought it was Time Under Titties... a measure of how much ass you're getting vs. time in the gym. In that cause you'd want as high a number as possible for sure.

Time Under Tension... not so much a big deal.

Top Bottom