Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

question: one set vs multiple

crushen

can someone please explain to me why i should do more than one set?

how does doing more than one overload the muscle more?

should a person do each multiple set to failure?

does doing more than one set help build neurological pathways more than a single set?

im unclear on the biology and processes involved

thx

There are numerous factors involved in training, and your methods should directly reflect your goals. If you wish to get as strong as possible, you need a variety of training stimiuli, such as CNS conditioning, repetitive skill work, etc, that can not be achieved as easily with only one set. A beginner will grow on just about anything.

There is no evidence that training to failure is superior to any other method.

ok lets say that i want to have maximum increases in poundage on the main compound movements

how does multiple sets compare to one set?

Mutiple sets are clearly superior. You are developing the skill of the lift, and this is often the most overlooked aspect of training. By not going to failure, your reps are performed in a more technically sound manner, and by performing multiple sets, you are spending more time developing skill. Also, by performing multiple sets, you get more repetitions performed with better technique, because, even though you are not going to failure, your techique degrades during the set do to fatigue.

For decent reading: www.elitefts.com

Failure is your body's way of preventing itself from becoming damaged. In other words, you are capable of doing much more than you originally fail at. The only way to really tax the muscle is go beyond failure with multiple sets and use cheat reps, forced reps, or burnouts. One set will not allow growth since the muscle is not damaged at that point.

Arioch: On target once again...can I just quote you from now on and sign my name to it? :)

B True

I think this statement sums it up well:
Originally posted by Love Bone - The only way to really tax the muscle is go beyond failure with multiple sets...
I have done the "1 set to failure" approach, and I'm not saying it doesn't work. But I will tell you my results are superior using multiple sets. (I'm talking 2-4 work sets tops, not 10-20).

crushen said:
so how does the number of reps fit into this? is there an optimal range to maximize poundage?
The answer to this is highly subjective: I personally seem to respond best to around 8-10 reps on upper body exercises and 12-15 for legs.

Top Bottom