Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question: Close Grip Bench stronger than Normal Bench

R

revexrevex

If I do it with a close grip, I can do more weight than if I would use medium or wide grip. What is my weak link... chest?

A similar question over at elitefts was answered by Jim Wendler with the response of to improve shoulder strength and do more wide grip benching.

Alot of people find it easier to stay in tight with the elbows on CGBP's, due to the grip. If you are staying tight, with the elbows in, and have your form down pat, then you could easily grow more accustomed to needing that narrow grip to keep proper form. I have the same problem kinda. I mean, my CGBP's weren't stronger than my benches, but at my strongest, I was getting 370 x 4 on bench, and #315 x 5 on CGBP's. That's pretty close. I always felt stronger on CGBP's though, and chalked it up to the elbow thing that I just mentioned. It is easier to stay compact, tight, and get that recoil off the Chest with CGBP's. At least for me. Anything like that going on with you?

You described it precisely. I can keep my upper back tighter and blast off the chest past the sticking point much better with close grip, as opposed to wider grip where I just stall midrange and get a lot of stress on the shoulders. Thats pretty impressive bench... what is your weight?

revexrevex said:
You described it precisely. I can keep my upper back tighter and blast off the chest past the sticking point much better with close grip, as opposed to wider grip where I just stall midrange and get a lot of stress on the shoulders. Thats pretty impressive bench... what is your weight?

I weigh #195 at 5'8". BF is around 9-10%, but I'm trying to cut it back to 7-8%. Those poundages on Bench(cg & regular) were last year though. I have switched my routines around a tad since that time. My best bench as of late has been #350 x 3. I popped 18 reps(I think it was) after that set with #225 as a drop set though, which is decent. Close grip sets, I have cut in 1/2 too. I used to do 4 sets with Tris, and now I only do 2, because I wanted to add a few more exercises. I only do 10 sets per group, and after 4 sets of CGBP, that wasn't leaving me with enough exercises imo, to hit all the angles I wanted to hit. Anyhow, I got #300 for 3 or 4 the other day, Can't remember exactly. As far as your problem bro, maybe try simply narrowing the grip on you regular benches, in an attempt to keep your bows in tighter. Most people(especially powerlifters) will tell you that it is better to take a wider grip on benches, due to the fact that the wider you go, the shorter the motion. Same thing with a wide stance on Squats & Deads. If you come from a bodybuilding mindset though, give it a try & see what happens.

On a side note, I am thinking about perhaps adding some IGF-1, GH, and slin this winter to try to get my poundages way WAY up there on the big three. A blitzkrieg strength cycle for a switch maybe? We'll see

Last edited:
i agree with atomic punk, i just feel much tighter when my grip is in closer. i am not sure about more weight, but i can use just about as much. see my last bench thread.
brian

Top Bottom