Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question on Bill Starr 5x5 Routine

al420 said:
Bill Starr is a genius. Buy his book: Starting Strength. Do his program for a year, then see if you want to make changes.

I train 4x a week, and have a Push Day (overhead press, bench, squat) and a Pull Day (Deadlift, Row, Powerclean, Etc) I do accessory work for smaller muscles groups on the day they fall so bicep and forearm on Pull Day, and triceps on Push Day.

Soreness will not be a factor as your only doing 25 reps for legs, not squats, then a bunch of faggorty like extentions and hamstring curls - both are useless for building strength.

Conditioning will be a factor. Your body will become accustomed to squatting 3x a week in 2-3 weeks. Just man up and do it.
Bill Starr did not write Starting Strength. Mark Rippitoe did. Bill Starr wrote "The Strongest Shall Survive."

PoweredUp said:
See, I have never understood the point of a "light day." Lifting lighter weights certainly won't generate new muscle growth, so what's the point? All it can do is interrupt the recovery period of the muscle that is trying to grow. A few of you have said that if I squat 3 times per week then my body will get used to it. Why is that necessary?

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

That site should answer any questions you have about 5x5. Especially read about Dual Factor Theory. The whole concept of training a muscle, then allowing it to fully recuperate before training it again is flawed.

haven't they actually found that excersing a muscle a few days after a heavy workout actually "helps" in recuperation? If you leave the muscle completely alone it just sort of seizes up and restricts blood flow which in turn restricts how much it recuperates AND how much it get's stronger/bigger.........certainly squatting your max 3 times a week would eventually usher in a major tendon collapse somewhere, probably the back.........that would take you out of the game for a very long fucking time. But the muscle recuperates better than the tendons from what I've read........

the rationale to the squatting 3x a week is all about progressive results and increment poundages on the lifts. by adding slight weight increases on the major compound lifts (i.e. squat) progress is maintained and continued, whereas training a body part once a week, trashing it and train it again when recovered wont get a trainee that far. progressive loading and increase on volume are the ways and means of the 5x5 program. better yet, do the rippetoe program first before progressing to the 5x5

PoweredUp said:
See, I have never understood the point of a "light day." Lifting lighter weights certainly won't generate new muscle growth, so what's the point? All it can do is interrupt the recovery period of the muscle that is trying to grow. A few of you have said that if I squat 3 times per week then my body will get used to it. Why is that necessary?

It is all about conditioning. Glen Pendlay posted about it on EF actually. Do a search

Top Bottom