Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question about home gym equipment.

I am not a fan of going to gym's, so I thought about buying a bench and some free weight's for my house. I have been looking around and I have picked out two items that I am interested in. The first piece of equipment is a standup chin-up bar with push-up handles on the bottom and sit-up type grips in the middle. It sells for about $200 Canadian or a little less.

I am also interested in getting a bench. I found a bench that has an attachment for legs as well (calf and quad exercises I think). The bench back-rest raises and declines as well, and there is also a back support attachment where I can place my bar when I am tired of lifting.

I have some questions about quality though. The items I am looking at are not junk, but I am shopping on a budget. I have two choices for the bench. I either get a gym quality bench (very heavy, thick steel, I cannot budge it, and its mostly all welded together) or I get a more modest bench (sturdy, but I can shake it, and it also has more pieces to it). If I could, I would like to buy the cheaper model to save money. It is still a good bench, but not as good. The more expensive one had steel that was 2x4 inches thick, while the smaller one was just 2x2.

I was also wondering about the other piece of equipment, the chin-up bar piece. I have looked for chin up bars that attach to doorways and I just don't like them. This thing was a free standing piece. It was not that sturdy, but it was not like it rocked back and forth when I tried it out.

I realize my descriptions are fairly vague, but I cannot find the piece of paper with all the info I had on it. I would just like some opinions as to what you think the best course of action would be to take.

I do not believe in buying junk, just to clear things up. I have looked around a few different fitness shops, plus the net and realize the difference's between something from Canadian tire and something from an exclusive fitness shop. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Cut
I'd get the heavy duty bench.....and replace the chin bar with a second hand power rack (or get one made). Power racks are far more versatile and you could always use it for chin-ups too.

Consider it an investment. If you get good equipment it will last a lifetime.

Smurf the little pea. said:
I am not a fan of going to gym's, so I thought about buying a bench and some free weight's for my house. I have been looking around and I have picked out two items that I am interested in. The first piece of equipment is a standup chin-up bar with push-up handles on the bottom and sit-up type grips in the middle. It sells for about $200 Canadian or a little less.

I am also interested in getting a bench. I found a bench that has an attachment for legs as well (calf and quad exercises I think). The bench back-rest raises and declines as well, and there is also a back support attachment where I can place my bar when I am tired of lifting.

I have some questions about quality though. The items I am looking at are not junk, but I am shopping on a budget. I have two choices for the bench. I either get a gym quality bench (very heavy, thick steel, I cannot budge it, and its mostly all welded together) or I get a more modest bench (sturdy, but I can shake it, and it also has more pieces to it). If I could, I would like to buy the cheaper model to save money. It is still a good bench, but not as good. The more expensive one had steel that was 2x4 inches thick, while the smaller one was just 2x2.

I was also wondering about the other piece of equipment, the chin-up bar piece. I have looked for chin up bars that attach to doorways and I just don't like them. This thing was a free standing piece. It was not that sturdy, but it was not like it rocked back and forth when I tried it out.

I realize my descriptions are fairly vague, but I cannot find the piece of paper with all the info I had on it. I would just like some opinions as to what you think the best course of action would be to take.

I do not believe in buying junk, just to clear things up. I have looked around a few different fitness shops, plus the net and realize the difference's between something from Canadian tire and something from an exclusive fitness shop. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

you got it,you don't want a cheap bench that you'll be replacing ......i like the powerrack idea Imodutch....that alone will add to what you can do,and after you bolt it down you can still do your pull - ups...........:D

Top Bottom