Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A question about floor press and alternatives

jackangel

Is the limited ROM of the floor press, which puts most of the stress on your triceps, the only important thing about the exercise? Or is it also important/useful to have your body flat out on the ground?

Could someone address the pros/cons of the following three possilbe alternatives? In other words, how would they compare with a regular floor press with regards to improving tricep strength?

1)Using a flat bench station with benches on either side to stop elbows at bench level, thus limiting ROM.

2)Using dumbells, lying on the floor.

3)Using the smith machine, lying on the floor.

I am asking partially because I might try these, and partially out of curiosity. We do have a power rack, and I'll probably try that soon, but I don't like the hassle of readjusting the pins and hooks :rolleyes: . Please, indulge me for a moment.

:D

Bump. I don't have access to a powerrack so these are pretty hard to setup at our commerical gym.

Also, are you supposed to keep your legs straight out in from of you or bend your knees and keep your feet flat on the floor?

I tried alternative 1 today. The two benches I used are about 1 cm lower in height than the flat bench station itself. I don't suppose that makes much difference, but I'd prefer to level it off, perhaps with a couple of mats.

I've never done such an exercise before, so perhaps it would have felt awkward no matter what I tried. My wrists are used to sitting back when I bench, as opposed to being upright, and they were shifting a bit while trying this version of the floor press.

I have a question about power racks...do different models have significantly different placements for the lowest pin hole? The rack in our gym has its lowest possible pin placement almost a foot above the bottom of my floor press ROM, so I can't use the pins if I fail.

I tried this movement at the end of my chest work (only dumbells and dips today). Perhaps that's why I felt so weak, but I'm not sure. I've suspected that my triceps are extremely weak under any conditions.

This is what I did while trying this new floor press:

95x4
115x4
135x3
135x1

I could only do that last single, confirming that I was done for the day.

My last regular full ROM bench workout (last week) was:

145x6
155x6
165x5

I'm not sure where my floor press should be in relation to my full ROM bench, but it seems like my triceps are in need of weakness correction. Do any of you agree?

1) the difference is leg drive. when your on the floor its limited. when your on a bench its not. a floor press is meant to be done on the floor. hence the name.

2) dumbell floor press are fine.

3) hang your coat on the smith machine and head to the free weights.

So Liftbig, how do you position your legs? Knees bent and feet flat on floor? Or do you keep your legs straight out in front to ensure no leg drive is used?

the leg drive (or lack of it) is what came to mind when considering the possible difference between actual floor press versus simulated floor press. if you use a flat bench like I did, but keep your legs out in front of you (not planted) and not undearneath you, that will any any chance of using leg drive.

one advantage of using flat bench is that, upon failure, the bar (in the bottom position) is still high enough that I can dump it on the secondary pegs and not get pinned.

some people do floor presses with the feet straight out, some do them with the knees bent and feet flat on the ground.

if you have them straight out, it takes the legs completely out of the movment. if you keep knees bent you will push a little, thats why liftbig said it takes out most of the leg drive.

do preference.

i use the knees bent method becuase i feel more stable. but i dont push with the legs just keep everything tight.

agreed on the smith mach. i love the fact that at my gym the smith mach is right next to the power rack, so everyone else picks the smith mach, and i get the steel cage tomyself.

and dumbells are a great variation, also rev grip barbell press is a good alternative.

X

failure on the floor? don't worry about it...your not supposed to got too failure anyway......if you do theres still room to slide from under the bar if you use 45's...if you don't use 45's you shouldn't be floorpressing

~:fro:~

Top Bottom