Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pyramid Training

MaGilicuti

What do you guys think pyramid training. Starting off with light weight and always going heavier next set. Or vice-versa. Anyone practice this and get good results?

I think it's the best way to train, you definetly need to warm up before you handle maximum poundages. I'm also a believer that high reps can be beneficial as long as you do them intensly and to failure or beyond (which alot of people simply don't becuase it's too uncomfortable) take squats for example, anyone can fail at 5-6 reps ATF, but If you do 20+ reps your gonna get pretty nausious and your entire body will be taxed to hell.

If you want to do it for the sole purpose of warming up, do not do more than a couple reps, and do a couple "sets" of that then go to a heavier weight example when warming up on bench I do this sometimes:
135x 8 (nice and slow)
185x 1
185x 2
185x 3
stretch...
225x 2
stretch...
235, 245 for 9, 7 reps at failure (1st and 2nd working set)
255 for 4-5 reps to failure (3rd working set)

and I never descend in weight unless its in the SAME set, ie: drop sets. I will sometimes make exeptions but I like to always go up in weight not down.

yeeh agreed.
You probably won't be able to handle a heavier weight until you do a lighter one (i hope that makes sense).
In a literal sense it doesn't , but hopefully you know what I'm talking about.
;)

I think it is good for power training, I did a lot of pyramiding last year, especially in the Squat and deadlift. For general training I don't like it, I find you waste too much before you get to your heavy sets, I prefer to do about 2 progressively heavier warmup sets,short of failure and then hit one or two work sets hard-or very hard.

I personally think Pyramiding is a waste of energy.

A better option would be to perform a "burn out set".

Do your regular heavy sets (3-5 reps), and then after your last set, rest about a minute, and do a set of 15-20 reps to failure.

would you recommend it for all movements. i currently only do so for benching, shoulder presses, squats.....would it be appropriate for say, curls?

"would you recommend it for all movements. i currently only do so for benching, shoulder presses, squats.....would it be appropriate for say, curls?"

I don't know if this was directed towards me, but if it was....

Yes, i would recommend it for all bodyparts.

it was directed to anyone, and thanx for the reply :)

Top Bottom