Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Push-ups and Sit-ups

monty2589

I just started college not too long ago and I'm currently playing college tennis. Well we've been practicing for about 3 weeks now and I've talked to my coach and he said that we won't start lifting till about the middle of October or so, when it starts getting cold and we're not able to practice that much. I'm just wondering if it would be good to start doing push-ups and sit-ups and exercises of that nature till we begin to lift. Oh yeah if you're wondering why I don't just go ahead and lift on my own, well between classes, studying and practice, I don't have enough time. So would it be good to start doing push-ups and sit-ups and stuff till then? Can I do em everyday or like 3 or 4 times a week?

It may seem that you dont have enough time but once you get going you will. I played college baseball and we practiced 6 days a week for at least 3 hours. I think I had around 18 credits and had a workstudy job, studied a good bit, and we were expected to lift and I always had time for it.

Wow...can't fit enough time to lift in just going to class? Must be nice to have someone pick up the tab on your education.

I don't think pushups/situps will be that effective over the longterm. I would much rather spend 3 months lifting weights THEN go to whatever school program (option: if it sucks you can show them yours!).

Do the body weight stuff now. Don't weight.

Build up Chinups, pushups with feet on chair, situps, air squats in a 1,2,3,4 ratio. Start with a small number (1-5) and increase by one chin up every day. Do them twice a day. If you can't do them in straight sets, do them in as few as possible. Do all the chinups, then all the pushups, etc. You have about 4 weeks. You will be over 100 straight squats by that time. This will condition you for the workouts. Starting small and keeping the frequency high should prevent DOMS. Keep doing this even after you start the weights. It takes about 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night.

By the way, many strength trainers start everyone out on 3 weeks to 3 months of bodyweight only before moving to weights. Don't undersestimate it. You can start on 1 legged sguats and handstand pushups once your ready if you want.

Dude you can do push ups and sit ups all day long every day. Anyone who doesn't believe that can look into the US military training manuals for historical proof. Sure there are better ways to train but they won't "hurt" you. When I'm really trying to get in shape quickly I will do PU and SU about every 90 minutes all day long. Just drop down and knock some out, like 50 at a time. If you are killing the weight room and looking for gains I wouldn't advise this but if you aren't doing anything else then go for it, you'll see the difference quickly.

Top Bottom