Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

push, pull, legs routine outline

^^^^ its always good to change things up. when you get bored, feel like you aren't improving anymore, etc. routine can get changed.

people who haven't tried this routine should give it a shot, and people who have been on this routine for a while should try something else.

it beats the hell outta doing the same workout 2X per week which i see guys do, atleast for bodybuilding practices atleast.

a few questions if you dont mind :)

what rep range do you work in? is it different for compound vs isolation exercises?

what % of your max are you using for the sets?

do you use the same weight for all the sets?

a few questions if you dont mind :)

totally depends on the individual, everyone should know what they are capable of and how much weight they can nail. but i will answer these for what i do.
what rep range do you work in? is it different for compound vs isolation exercises?
I typically do 6 reps for compound movements and gradually increase weight per set, then once i reach X amount of weight I nail it for 3 sets to build consistency with 3-5 reps heavy. then with isolation i tend to go till failure on each set. i like to hit the red muscle fibers with these, so a lot of reps at lower weight.

what % of your max are you using for the sets?
with compound lifts i warmup and gradually increase the weight. i don't max out very often, maybe once every 3 weeks.

do you use the same weight for all the sets?
generally no unless I am doing centuries. for example my last push day.. i started out with flat bench. put on 135.. warmed up.. then put on 225 and did it 6 times (did not go to failure as i dont want to burn myself out) then jumped to 245.. did it 6 times.. then 275 4X.. then 305 3X for 3 sets. then i went to 315 and did 2X. then i went to incline and did 225 for 3 sets till failure. next workout i might just do 225 12 reps for 5 sets. or if i want to max out i will do 3 reps at lighter weight then throw on 330 or 335 and try to nail it a couple times. then go on to something else.. so i mix things up. really when i warmup i get a good feel for if my body feels like it wants to push heavy and low rep, or lighter and high rep. same goes for leg days doing squats or deads. same goes for pull days. from a pure bodybuilding standpoint you definately should aim to hit your white and red muscle fibers probably 35-65. powerlifters should go 75-25
bolded

For pull days I do.... Chin ups, bent over rows, dead lifts, cable rows and lat pull down

For push days I do Flat bench, incline and decline also with shoulders , shoulder press, mill press and an isolation exercise.. What do you think.... I've only start push pull leg days feel good after only aweek tell me what you think thanks...

Thanks for the replies Steve!

For pull days I do.... Chin ups, bent over rows, dead lifts, cable rows and lat pull down

For push days I do Flat bench, incline and decline also with shoulders , shoulder press, mill press and an isolation exercise.. What do you think.... I've only start push pull leg days feel good after only aweek tell me what you think thanks...

sounds good to me ! except deadlifts should be on leg days.. try and get in a solid amount of volume each day. pull day for example, 3 sets of chin, 3 sets of bent over, 3 sets cable rows, 3 sets lat pull down, and 6 sets of some kind of curls to isolate the biceps (optional but its nice to see your progress in the mirror). and mix them up each time. but always start out with compound movements.

Steve:

When do you do military press or shoulder exercises?

I was thinking of doing chest and shoulders on my push days?

militaries I do on push days every 3rd go around

i alternate things around, i never do the same workout two straight times (atleast i try not to)

I've also tried going back to back days with certain muscle exercises to really cream the muscle, i think it has helped grow my biceps. i still will do the push/pull/legs split but i will throw in some extra bicep work even on push or leg days for example. not always of course but if i really feel like they could use some extra reps on off days i will throw it in. let your muscles rest the 23 hours in a row you are not at the gym.

I have been using this type of routine for a good 6 months, after coming off years of DC training. This is how I got my volume up again. I am only hitting it 3x a week, but still making steady gains. I was going 5-6, but felt overtrained. had to scale it back a bit. Currently doing 8-12 sets per bodypart, with 2-3 excercizes total per BP. Nexy cycle i wanna hit it at least 5x per week and up the volume a bit too.

Good thread!

I have a question Steve. You say don't do deadlifts and squats in the same week. What about doing heavy rack pulls on back day then doing squats on leg day

Top Bottom