Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Push Presses and Explosive Power

louden_swain

Hey guys,

Lately, I have been perfoming heavy push presses in my routine, as it serves as the core of my shoulder workout. I finally got tired of the seated barbell press, so I figured I would try something new. I feel that push presses will add new muscle to my entire shoulder girdle. I plan to work with this exercise for the next few months. Here is my current shoulder routine:

Push Presses - 3 x 10,6,4
Up Right Rows - 3 x 8
Barbell Shrugs - 3 x 8

For those who perform this exercise, what grip do you use?
What other exercises do you include to assist with explosive power?
Any good pointers or suggestions on this exercise?

Let me know

LS

That routine looks solid.

If you want more explosive power, try switching your conventional shrugs to dynamic shrugs. I love the movement.

Give it a try and tell me what you think.

I haven't done push presses but I use shoulder width grips for the other two. Also I do utilize straps or hooks for the shruggs asyou may already know to get a good burn you need to be able to go heavy and hold the bar. I can shrug much more than I can grip, hence the assist.

Weighted pull ups will also expand your shoulders/back. Also I recently changed the position of my dbells when doing front raises. Insted of holding them parralell to the ground I now hold them perpindicular to, or up and down. HUGE difference in the stress on the joints of the elbow and shoulder!

Explosive motion when exertinf force and slow recoil to the resting position is the best way I have found to obtain the "explosive" strength your looking for. Know what I mean?? From the start pull to the half way point with all your might while retaining good form, very important as the weights go up. Then slowly return to start.

Later Bro'...

HEY LOUDEN

i love that movie by the way, always got me pumped up before every match i had my senior year, i dont know how many times i have seen it, but dang, i broke the tape on my only copy, oh well, everyone here should see Vision Quest.

anyways........

i have just switched to the push presses as well.

here is what my workout is for shoulders/trap/low back day.
i am doing 5X5 pushpress
5X5 sumo straight leg deads(great for low back)
2 sets 10 dumbell press
2 sets 10 hyperext
5X5 upright row
2 set 10 rear delt raise
2 set 10 db shrugs.

so basically, 3 exercises for shoulders, 2 for trap, and 2 for low back.

i really like the push press, i think it has to be know that i can generate extra power from the legs, i always like exercise that make me feel powerful.

keep me posted on how you like them

X

Top Bottom